[Apple TV] Request for beginners guide to NFS?
Easiest way I found to get mount_nfs on the AppleTV is to use the NitoTV smart installer. http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/NitoTV#Smart_Installer

There is a link on that wiki to the 10.4.9 OSX Combo file that you put in ~/Documents on the AppleTV and simply run the smart installer from within NitoTV on the AppleTV. That pulls out mount_nfs, mount_smb, mount_afp, dvdplayer, usb support, etc. and loads them in the appropriate places on the ATV.

I then use NitoTV to automount my NFS drives on startup so I don't need to deal with fstab or anything else... Nito is also smart enough to wait a little to mount so the Wi-Fi connection can start.
Sounds great, I will give it a try right away..
Ok, did the nito smart installer. But I still get the Permission denied message. Really frustrating...any clues?

From the ssh shell I also tried

mount -t nfs 192.168.1.36:/Public /mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Documents/

with the following result
mount_nfs: can't access /Public: Permission denied

Public is a share on my Qnap NAS with NFS permissions * (all)
Well NFS doesn't have much security beyond IP addresses and UID/GID. If you have the permissions on /Public set to "everyone" for at least read/execute it should work fine. I run NFS to a Linux server and access files that I have setup for read only access to for everyone but my user, who has read/write. The directories need execute access in order to have the files viewed on them.

NFS is a bit "old school" and sort of expects the user/group list to be the same on the client as it is on the server in order to preserve permissions, which is why you need read/execute for 'everyone' on directories and at least read on files when you use NFS to a client like the AppleTV.
The solution seems to be adding a -P switch to the mount_nfs command

sudo mount_nfs -P 192.168.1.36:/Public /mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/QNAP

From what I could find out, it has something to do with BSD and Unix are not handling NFS the same way, but I am not sure about this part, only that it worked for me.

/Anders
daemon666 Wrote:The solution seems to be adding a -P switch to the mount_nfs command

sudo mount_nfs -P 192.168.1.36:/Public /mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/QNAP

From what I could find out, it has something to do with BSD and Unix are not handling NFS the same way, but I am not sure about this part, only that it worked for me.

/Anders

Hi anders I'm having the same problem but when I try to run the same command obviously with my own ip address and folder, I can't get past the password which should be frontrow.
If I use filezilla I use my ip address and frontrow and frontrow to gain access, is there another pw doing it this way?
Cheers
Rob

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] Request for beginners guide to NFS?0