Power button
I've got Ubuntu 8.04 configured so that it shuts down when I press the power button, and this has been working ok for months. Recently, probably around the time that the final version of XBMC came out, I started having troubles.

Sometimes pressing the power button shuts down the computer, sometimes it brings up the XBMC shutdown menu. My question is: What is the intended behavior? Is this a race condition where both Ubuntu and XBMC are looking for the button press?

My preference is to be able to just press the button on the front of the computer and not think about it again.
XBMC machine: ABIT AN-M2HD with nVidia 7050 onboard (Ubuntu Hardy + latest nVidia driver), AMD Athlon BE-2350, Microsoft MCE IR Remote, Logitech PS3 USB keyboard, 33w idle, 53w max, 720p plasma over HDMI
gfairbanks Wrote:I've got Ubuntu 8.04 configured so that it shuts down when I press the power button, and this has been working ok for months. Recently, probably around the time that the final version of XBMC came out, I started having troubles.

Sometimes pressing the power button shuts down the computer, sometimes it brings up the XBMC shutdown menu. My question is: What is the intended behavior? Is this a race condition where both Ubuntu and XBMC are looking for the button press?

My preference is to be able to just press the button on the front of the computer and not think about it again.

Well XBMC is registering the button press. and is it not fighting it at all, it is mainly getting an event and brings up ShutdownMenu (this is intended behaviour). So Xubuntu shouldnt even know about XBMC getting this event as its purely broadcast events.

So my first guess is probably that Xubuntu is failing you, and more specific Im guessing the power manager is failing. Although what powermanager xubuntu have I dont know (might be gnome). Anyhow it might be wise to put an advanced setting that will trigger shutdown when pressing the powerbutton.

This is a related ticket I posted a while back to not forget about it were I proposed pressing the powerbutton twice to shutdown the computer.

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5222
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that this is running straight Ubuntu 8.04 with gnome.
XBMC machine: ABIT AN-M2HD with nVidia 7050 onboard (Ubuntu Hardy + latest nVidia driver), AMD Athlon BE-2350, Microsoft MCE IR Remote, Logitech PS3 USB keyboard, 33w idle, 53w max, 720p plasma over HDMI
Oh sry, I though you said Xubuntu Smile anyway if your using ubuntu then its definatly gnome-powermanager.

Are you certain your not logged in via ssh, because you cant shutdown the computer while more than one user is logged in (ssh counts as one and ordinary on the computer as one, so this sums to 2 even if its the same account)

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I bet the ssh login is it. I'm often logged in to do transcodes or transfer files, so that would explain the inconsistency. I'll test that. Thanks!
This is also in this ticket incase you have some thoughts about it

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5356

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Power button0