A "thin" XBMC-installation
Thanks Nugentgl

This is making for some interesting reading guys!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...40&page=21
SSD on Windows

2 things

1. turn off indexing
2. do not run defrag never again

Do not worry about what people say about SSD wearing. They do but not as much as they once did.

What can do a lot of damage and wear then down is defragging and indexing.

Those two activies create a lot of extra writes for a drive, and SSD do not need that.
warwon Wrote:SSD on Windows

2 things

1. turn off indexing
2. do not run defrag never again

Do not worry about what people say about SSD wearing. They do but not as much as they once did.

What can do a lot of damage and wear then down is defragging and indexing.

Those two activies create a lot of extra writes for a drive, and SSD do not need that.

I would Personally add to this and say make sure you have 2 GB ram and turn off your swap file. I don't use a swap on my tv-pc and haven't seen any bad points.

Defrag isnt all that bad, used properly. use it once after you have finished setting up the install, after that, remove the shortcut in accessories.

if you feel particularly ambitious, set a ram drive up and point your TEMP directories to it.

I remember a group making a XP live-CD, and they had all needed write operations go to a ram drive.
There are a few other "build it yourself" options regarding storage. I'm using OpenFiler which is similar to Kryspy's suggestion. It will support a number of different file systems like iSCSI, NFS, SMB/CIFS, HTTP/WebDAV and FTP.

You can also take a look at http://lime-technology.com/ as they have an interesting RAID solution that looks to make the maximum use of disks while still providing parity. From what I understand, you can use disks of different sizes AND add to it as you grow your storage needs without destroying the array.

They have a free demo that boots from a USB key and will allow you to create a 3 disk array. The paid version is VERY affordable at $119 to protect a 16 drive array and this is something I'll probably look at later, not had chance to look yet.

There are LOTS of options for storage!
I second the unRAID solution. I have a pair of them and over 7TB opf space with plenty of room to grow. Bang for the buck this is a great way to go but write speeds are a little slow unless a cache drive is used which I'm not doing...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Yes the OCZ units got some bad press but SSD is in early stages for anyone building a small unit be prepared for tweaks and workarounds to get the most from a small HTPC build.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A "thin" XBMC-installation0