[APPLE TV] ATV 2.3 - multiple problems
Installed the latest launcher and XBMC using the Windows patchstick.

Issues:

HDMI output is borked. When I start Apple TV, the apple logo appears, then the screen goes blank. If you press play - play, then XBMC starts up, however if you exit it, once again, blank screen.

Sometimes I get a blank screen when starting up XBMC (connected via component) - if you unplug ATV and try 2-3 times, eventually XBMC comes up, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

No matter what resolution I set in XBMC, my TV tells me that the ATV outputs 720p.

You cannot change resolution inside the ATV settings menu, if you try to do it, ATV freezes.
durask Wrote:Installed the latest launcher and XBMC using the Windows patchstick.

Issues:

HDMI output is borked. When I start Apple TV, the apple logo appears, then the screen goes blank. If you press play - play, then XBMC starts up, however if you exit it, once again, blank screen.

Sometimes I get a blank screen when starting up XBMC (connected via component) - if you unplug ATV and try 2-3 times, eventually XBMC comes up, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

No matter what resolution I set in XBMC, my TV tells me that the ATV outputs 720p.

You cannot change resolution inside the ATV settings menu, if you try to do it, ATV freezes.

"latest launcher and XBMC" tells me nothing. Exact versions please.

ssh in and pastebin a) console.log and b) xbmc.log.
davilla Wrote:ssh in and pastebin a) console.log and b) xbmc.log.

OK, how do I do that?
durask Wrote:OK, how do I do that?

out comes the spoon...

ssh in and

"sudo find / -name xbmc.log -print"
"sudo find / -name console.log -print"

http://www.pastebin.com is used for posting logs.
OK, now only have to figure out how to ssh in...will start searching the forums. Smile
I upgraded my TV from 32" 720P to 42" 1080P, same brand... upon doing so everytime I shut off the TV and go to bed, by morning I have a blank screen.

I can press Menu or Play/Pause as many times as I want, wont come back until I reboot AppleTV. This doesn't happen with 360 or PS3 also on HDMI, just AppleTV.

Here's the rub, it happens even if I left it in the AppleTV menu not just XBMC.

OK, while I was typing this I switched the TV on and let it sit with a blank screen, after about 5 minutes I noticed the AppleTV was rebooting on it's own "blinking yellow". Then it asked for language and so on as if I had held down "Menu" and "Play/Pause".

I selected "System Test" and it's result was "Your Apple TV is working perfectly".

I'm wondering if this is an HDMI firmware issue, not ATV or XBMC.
sdaniels Wrote:I upgraded my TV from 32" 720P to 42" 1080P, same brand... upon doing so everytime I shut off the TV and go to bed, by morning I have a blank screen.

I can press Menu or Play/Pause as many times as I want, wont come back until I reboot AppleTV. This doesn't happen with 360 or PS3 also on HDMI, just AppleTV.

Here's the rub, it happens even if I left it in the AppleTV menu not just XBMC.

OK, while I was typing this I switched the TV on and let it sit with a blank screen, after about 5 minutes I noticed the AppleTV was rebooting on it's own "blinking yellow". Then it asked for language and so on as if I had held down "Menu" and "Play/Pause".

I selected "System Test" and it's result was "Your Apple TV is working perfectly".

I'm wondering if this is an HDMI firmware issue, not ATV or XBMC.

My crystal ball is not working today Smile How can we help if you don't include any information about AppleTV OS, Launcher, XBMC versions.
Problem with ssh - I don't have any Mac or Linux computers in the house.

I tried this but so far no luck - says "connection refused".

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

One bit of info - HDMI works on another TV so this is most likely a HDCP issue...
Ok, I got in with Putty. Typing those commands doesn't do anything.

-bash-2.05b$ sudo find / -name xbmc.log -print
/mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Library/Logs/xbmc.log
-bash-2.05b$ sudo find / -name console.log -print
/mnt/Scratch/Library/Logs/Console/501/console.log

I can do

more xbmc.log but that's a LOT of lines

Sorry, last time I used Unix in any capacity was about 12 years ago, all I remember is emacs and ls -l Smile
I can really comfirm that xbmc 8.10 and AppleTv 2.3 have major issue. I have also the problem once I shutdown xbmc I'm not able to get in again. The Screen remains black after call from the AppleTv Menu.

If it helps i could also post my logs.

Besides if it really runs for once its a decent piece of software but as long as this issues not fixed its a bit annoying.

Other questions: there are no problems like that on AppleTv 2.2? Is it possible to downgrade (never tried)?

EDIT: I read about downgrading,etc.

thanks
MrSaint Wrote:I can really comfirm that xbmc 8.10 and AppleTv 2.3 have major issue. I have also the problem once I shutdown xbmc I'm not able to get in again. The Screen remains black after call from the AppleTv Menu.

If it helps i could also post my logs.

Besides if it really runs for once its a decent piece of software but as long as this issues not fixed its a bit annoying.

Other questions: there are no problems like that on AppleTv 2.2? Is it possible to downgrade (never tried)?

EDIT: I read about downgrading,etc.

thanks

Two choices.

1) downgrade to ATV r2.2 and use Launcher 0.8
2) update to Launcher 2.2
davilla Wrote:My crystal ball is not working today Smile How can we help if you don't include any information about AppleTV OS, Launcher, XBMC versions.

Why would I include my logs? I don't believe it's XBMC. I believe it's the ATV itself.
sdaniels Wrote:Why would I include my logs? I don't believe it's XBMC. I believe it's the ATV itself.

xbmc.log
console.log

because it shows important info that can be used to diagnose the issue. pastebin please Smile

There was an issue with one of the Launcher versions and HDMI disconnects. Think is was Launcher 2.0 or 2.1.
I'm putting this up so I can refer back to it, and links to logs bellow.

In Mac, use "/Applications/Utilities/Terminal"

Last login: Tue Jan 13 17:18:18 on console
MacBookPro:~ sdaniels$ ssh [email protected]
The authenticity of host '10.1.10.51 (10.1.10.51)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 6a:fd:bf:81:62:06:34:38:ee:e0:23:40:83:6e:53:26.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '10.1.10.51' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
Welcome to the AppleTV (via atv-usbcreator)
[email protected]'s password: (frontrow)
-bash-2.05b$
-bash-2.05b$ sudo find / -name xbmc.log -print
Password: (frontrow)
/mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Library/Logs/xbmc.log
-bash-2.05b$ sudo cp /mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Library/Logs/xbmc.log /Users/frontrow/Documents
-bash-2.05b$
-bash-2.05b$ sudo find / -name console.log -print/mnt/Scratch/Library/Logs/Console/501/console.log
-bash-2.05b$
-bash-2.05b$ sudo cp /mnt/Scratch/Library/Logs/Console/501/console.log /Users/frontrow/Documents
-bash-2.05b$

Then use "Fugu" on Mac to SFTP into ATV and retrieve files.

Logs here...
Code:
XBMC Log, http://pastebin.com/mbd58f87
Console Log, http://pastebin.com/d1ccf0762
sdaniels Wrote:
Code:
XBMC Log, http://pastebin.com/mbd58f87
Console Log, http://pastebin.com/d1ccf0762

try adding

<osx_gl_fullscreen>true</osx_gl_fullscreen>

to /Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

it should already contain

<advancedsettings>
<skiploopfilter>8</skiploopfilter>
</advancedsettings>

so edit it to be

<advancedsettings>
<skiploopfilter>8</skiploopfilter>
<osx_gl_fullscreen>true</osx_gl_fullscreen>
</advancedsettings>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] ATV 2.3 - multiple problems0