Intel ATOM 330 Dual-Core CPU experience with XBMC for Linux - perfect 720p playback
CrashX, are you using the built-in Intel video?
a little misleading title; it may play certain 720p avi files fine, but I guarantee your atom system will not play all x264 720p vids fine.

I have played with many atom systems, it just doesn't have the cpu power to flawlessly play most 720p or higher x264 content.

for good 720p/1080p HD mkv playback in a small form factor... I recommend a DG45FC mITX mobo + e8400 cpu (which btw will fit fine in that mitx apex case, just have to use a low profile cpu heatsink.. like a hiper)

without gpu acceleration, I would not recommend an atom system for HD playback.
Question 
Dwolf Wrote:a little misleading title; it may play certain 720p avi files fine, but I guarantee your atom system will not play all x264 720p vids fine.

I have played with many atom systems, it just doesn't have the cpu power to flawlessly play most 720p or higher x264 content.

for good 720p/1080p HD mkv playback in a small form factor... I recommend a DG45FC mITX mobo + e8400 cpu (which btw will fit fine in that mitx apex case, just have to use a low profile cpu heatsink.. like a hiper)

Looks like a nice board, shame about the BIOS though. If they hadn't locked it down to the hilt I might have been more interested. Is that Intel video chipset proving capable and can it do HDMI audio?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:Looks like a nice board, shame about the BIOS though. If they hadn't locked it down to the hilt I might have been more interested. Is that Intel video chipset proving capable and can it do HDMI audio?

If your talking about Intel DG45FC then yes, but alsa drivers are a bit buggy an they don't send audio correctly to HDMI. But its in the fixinig.

If your talking about the Atom then no, I don´t think the 950 is ever gonna support HDMI audio
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Yup using Intel video ...

GaryT Wrote:CrashX, are you using the built-in Intel video?
Are you sure you talking about dual core atom ? The reviews I have read states it can be handle just about any 720P files .. You also have the option adding PCI videocard which should help ...

Do you have some 720P samples that didn't play fine ..

This is best value in power consumption, price and performance .. You really can't do anything better ..

Dwolf Wrote:a little misleading title; it may play certain 720p avi files fine, but I guarantee your atom system will not play all x264 720p vids fine.

yes, i have a sample in 720p that not played perfectly, i had some frame drops (about 100-150).
but... i played it over the home network thru 100 mb switch.
when i played it from pendrive, i have a half less drops (about 40-60).

http://mirror.bigbuckbunny.de/peach/bigb...p_h264.mov
100megs is PLENTY of bandwidth for 720P, heck I play 1080 over it no problem an high bitrate at that.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
sarcaz Wrote:i've update the bios 2 days ago, and i've build it from SVN the only difference is that i used 32bit fc10 and also i think that the live cd is 32bit so i'll try with a 64bit distribution as you, thank's
bye

Almost forgot I had to remove pluseaudio and install esound.
The Atom 330 does look like the ideal cheap CPU for an XBMC HTPC. Shame that XBMC doesn't do any processing with the GPU or else the nVidia ION chipset would be sensational for this because I'd be pretty sure it'd handle 1080p stuff with ease.

I might buy an ION based Atom system when one is released because that'll handle the 720p stuff fine and I'll just hope that XBMC finally supports GPU processing meaning it'll then handle 1080p Big Grin One can hope!!
Spend some time reading the devsw comments about GPU acceleration and you will see why it's not a simple hand wave to support it....
Really, its hardly more difficult that what Xine have done... what VLC has done... and particularly what Myth have done. Yes, there's additional image processing in XBMC, but its far from impossible to overcome and the lack of VDPAU support is, imho, going to cripple XBMC going forward.

Sorry to hijack, but i'm tired of seeing the same misinformation passed. Its a reasonably large job but it's far from being impossible.
motd2k Wrote:Sorry to hijack, but i'm tired of seeing the same misinformation passed. Its a reasonably large job but it's far from being impossible.
Well, if you know a developer that could handle the job, I'm sure the team would be happy to help him/her out. Smile
And you'd have the eternal gratitude of many, many XBMC users around the world.

Also, you should be more... tactful, when it comes to words. The way you worded it, it seems that Team XBMC is out on a mission to keep users from having hardware accelerated video decoding. They're human beings that do the best that they can. They do it for free... misinformation is tough word to digest, IMHO.
Peace. Smile
gsunr Wrote:yes, i have a sample in 720p that not played perfectly, i had some frame drops (about 100-150).
but... i played it over the home network thru 100 mb switch.
when i played it from pendrive, i have a half less drops (about 40-60).

http://mirror.bigbuckbunny.de/peach/bigb...p_h264.mov

Here are my results on VLC.

I had frame drops about 180 out of 13,000 frames displayed. Playback in XBMC was alot better then this but I couldn't measure.. XBMC was almost constant at 24FPS. Only a few times ( < 5 ) I saw it skip for 1 sec.
ashlar Wrote:Well, if you know a developer that could handle the job, I'm sure the team would be happy to help him/her out. Smile
And you'd have the eternal gratitude of many, many XBMC users around the world.

Also, you should be more... tactful, when it comes to words. The way you worded it, it seems that Team XBMC is out on a mission to keep users from having hardware accelerated video decoding. They're human beings that do the best that they can. They do it for free... misinformation is tough word to digest, IMHO.
Peace. Smile

Is BLKMGK a dev? Tongue My point is simple, the more people who mindlessly repeat what they think they heard, the less people are going to be bothered to actually look at the code and come up with a workaround! It de-motivational to hear that something is impossible before you've even tried (although granted some people will take it up just for the 'challenge' in this case). Anyway, i'm off my soapbox and i'll look at getting something very (very!) rough going with the vdpau API in the next few days.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel ATOM 330 Dual-Core CPU experience with XBMC for Linux - perfect 720p playback0