Sluggish response to Apple remote on Mac mini
I used XBMC Atlantis on an AppleTV and it was great, I've just switched to a Mac Mini running on the same network and accessing the same files as before, now though, the response to the apple remote is sluggish (I will define my use of that term!)

If I'm viewing a list of media, and I press the down button the the remote five times in succession, it seems that the Mac only 'hears' a few of these, it seems to miss some of the signals. If I perform the same actions using the USB connected keyboard, there is no lack of response from the system.

If I press the remote carefully and slowly, pausing 2 seconds between each press, then every press is registered, but in normal use, it's frustrating.

Is there a log file and anything that I could check to get some info on this? It's possible that the mini is faulty in some way but the remote does work ok in frontrow so I dont think its more likely a software issue.
Make sure you have 'universal remote' off in the options.
Thanks for the reply, I've checked for this option and cannot find it. Is this an option in XBMC?

I seem to remember something like that as an option in the AppleTV menu's but I'm using a Mac mini and so dont seem to have that option available to me.
I'm still experiencing this problem, it's actually close to unusable with the apple remote. I've taken to using an app on my iphone to control it, or just using the bulky wireless keyboard.

I'd like to use the little white apple remote again, like I did with XBMC and the appletv.

Does anyone use XBMC with a Mac mini and does their apple remote work fine? If it does then I'll stop whining, but if someone else is having a problem then perhaps we can look into getting this fixed?
I have the same problem, both in Xbmc and Plex. Mentioned it on the Plex forum some time ago, but nothing really came of it. http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?showtopic=1119

It has actually gotten worse for me recently, and right click is really hard to register now. I have to do the same as you describe with a long-ish click. Short right clicks will not register at all for me.

This has been discussed before, but it has never been solved:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43118
The first thing to do in chasing this down it to run XBMCHelper in verbose mode (-v) from the command-line. This outputs lots of debug messages.

This will help determine if it's and XBMCHelper issue or an XBMC issue.

So startup XBMC, kill off XBMCHelper, the start it from the command-line.

Now do the IR remote clicks and see if XBMCHelper see the IR buttons.
First off, regarding the right clicks, I tried pairing and using my wife's ipod remote instead, and it does not have the same right click problem, so I guess that can be written off as a hardware problem with that specific remote.

davilla Wrote:The first thing to do in chasing this down it to run XBMCHelper in verbose mode (-v) from the command-line. This outputs lots of debug messages.

This will help determine if it's and XBMCHelper issue or an XBMC issue.
I just tried this in XBMC (did it some time ago in Plex), and it exhibits the same behaviour. The clicks that aren't being registered, have no XBMCHelper output in verbose mode.

Using the remote in Frontrow works fine.
I don't understand, this is fixed (hardware problem) or do you still have a problem.
davilla Wrote:I don't understand, this is fixed (hardware problem) or do you still have a problem.
Right clicks had gotten a lot worse recently, but as I wrote it was that particular remote. I still have the problem with all clicks (as do all the other people in the posts I have linked).
davilla Wrote:I don't understand, this is fixed (hardware problem) or do you still have a problem.

XBMC with my ATV2.3 works perfectly. XBMC with my Mini Leopard has real trouble with the Apple Remote. For some reason I can't get the remote to launch XBMC and it will occasionally launch Front Row. It does launch Plex so the remote is fine. Once I disable the Plex remote helper and enable the xbmc remote helper it should launch xbmc, but it won't.

philip

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sluggish response to Apple remote on Mac mini0