• 5(current)
[MAC] New (March 2009+) Mac Mini with NVIDIA 9400 graphics - Good enough for 1080p?
Well i had a chance to test a 1080p movie with around 8k bitrate on a macbook similar to mini, 2ghz cpu, was fineSmile by the way will a mini display 1080p resolution on my 1080p display via mini-dvi to hdmi cable of some sort? I just have no way of testing it;(
No consistent 'yes' to original question.
received my new mac mini yesterday (cpu: 2.26Ghz, ram: 2Gb) and it runs 1080p video flawlessly. cpu sits about about 50% playing the video Smile
bello Wrote:received my new mac mini yesterday (cpu: 2.26Ghz, ram: 2Gb) and it runs 1080p video flawlessly. cpu sits about about 50% playing the video Smile

I really wish I hadn't seen you say this -- I just got my IRS refund electronically deposited into checking Big Grin.
1080p is fine, if you have a clip you want me to test, linky.
great news Wink i guess the 2.0 ghz will be able to handle them as well Wink i just hope that the 9400M will display 1080p resolution through Mini-DVI - HDMI cable Smile going to hook this up to my Panasonic G10 series plasma Wink
bello Wrote:received my new mac mini yesterday (cpu: 2.26Ghz, ram: 2Gb) and it runs 1080p video flawlessly. cpu sits about about 50% playing the video Smile

bello do you use XBMC under MacOS? Or XBMC under Linux? Or something else?
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
---------------------------------------
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
XBMC @ Lenovo Q150 and a Panasonic Plasma for bedrooming ;)
chuuey Wrote:great news Wink i guess the 2.0 ghz will be able to handle them as well Wink i just hope that the 9400M will display 1080p resolution through Mini-DVI - HDMI cable Smile going to hook this up to my Panasonic G10 series plasma Wink

works fine for me on my 60" kuro Wink
my new mini (2.26, 1GB RAM) plays all of my 1080p rips (~10Mb bitrate video, AC3) without dropping any frames. if you don't have one yet, get one - you won't regret it.

BTW, i'm running XBMC under Mac OSX
The new Mac Mini is starting to sound promising in spite of the 9400M vid and 2.26 limitation on the CPU.

I admit I am very curious about Linux XMBC exploiting the GPU and if using OSX/XMBC combo - anyone have a measure of a poorly encoded clip such as that killabird file?

Seems that the only real measure is taking the worst possible clips and seeing how they play. The above mentioned file, on an iMAC 2ghrz with HD2400 vid and internal 7200rpm drive, has issues. Would be nice to see the new Mac Mini fair better.

- Phrehdd
Geeba Wrote:Not with XBMC it hasnt... uless they're extreemly low bit rate files, or your running Linux with hardware acceleration.....

You're wrong Geeba. I've got a 2Ghz mini (the older one) and it plays all MKV 1080P content that I throw at it with only one exception: the bird scene in episode one of Planet Earth 1080P. I believe this is the scene that was turned into the killa sample.

This isn't low bandwidth stuff. I've played ripped Blu Ray h264 stuff (40GB movie), and 4-15GB MKVs downloaded from usenet. It all plays smooth as glass.

I use Plex 99% of the time, but the performance seems the same in both Plex and XBMC.
elconcho Wrote:You're wrong Geeba. I've got a 2Ghz mini (the older one) and it plays all MKV 1080P content that I throw at it with only one exception: the bird scene in episode one of Planet Earth 1080P. I believe this is the scene that was turned into the killa sample.

This isn't low bandwidth stuff. I've played ripped Blu Ray h264 stuff (40GB movie), and 4-15GB MKVs downloaded from usenet. It all plays smooth as glass.

I use Plex 99% of the time, but the performance seems the same in both Plex and XBMC.

hehe, i know exactly which scene you are reffering to! Anyway I will have my Mini here in about a few weeks so i will report back Wink thanks for all the information Smile
elconcho Wrote:You're wrong Geeba. I've got a 2Ghz mini (the older one) and it plays all MKV 1080P content that I throw at it with only one exception: the bird scene in episode one of Planet Earth 1080P. I believe this is the scene that was turned into the killa sample.

Well a majority of people cant get FULL 1080P running on a 2Ghz machine! without GPU assitance! Me included... and everything I have read on this forum says the same..... to me it sounds like your playing rips! My old P4 will have a bash at them!
Geeba Wrote:Well a majority of people cant get FULL 1080P running on a 2Ghz machine! without GPU assitance! Me included... and everything I have read on this forum says the same..... to me it sounds like your playing rips! My old P4 will have a bash at them!

rip or not, it's still 1080p --I think you are referring to the type of encoding? blu-ray media vs mkv conatiners with h264/dts/dd?

I don't know of many people trying to play full blu-ray rips on their mini's. Space/size would be a serious issue at 30-50g each Smile 10-12g is about what you'll see for 1080p scene ripped mkv's.
jayhawk785 Wrote:rip or not, it's still 1080p --I think you are referring to the type of encoding? blu-ray media vs mkv conatiners with h264/dts/dd?

I don't know of many people trying to play full blu-ray rips on their mini's. Space/size would be a serious issue at 30-50g each Smile 10-12g is about what you'll see for 1080p scene ripped mkv's.

I don't get the "rips" comment either. I'm talking about downloaded content from usenet/bitorrent. They are MKVs containing x264 content in either 1080p or 720p, and come in a variety of bitrates. Playback of raw bluray is actually less taxing on the CPU than the more compressed stuff. I have tried 500+ 720p/1080p movies, and the only one that has trouble is listed above. I only have one Bluray movie that's a direct rip--it plays fine too.

So again, I don't know if geeba is using the mac version of XBMC or PLEX, or linux or what. When I had a non-mac HTPC, I needed GPU assistance with my 2.66Ghz C2Duo. For some reason, the mini runs everything beautifully at 2Ghz with no GPU assistance.

I just watched a 9.5GB 1080p movie last night on PLEX that was even transcoding the DTS to AC3 on the fly (PLEX does this, XBMC doesn't) and it didn't drop one frame. I could see the film grain in the movie. Awesome.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] New (March 2009+) Mac Mini with NVIDIA 9400 graphics - Good enough for 1080p?0