segfault after install
added the repository required for apt-get install xbmc.
after installation, when you try to run it, you get Segmentation fault (core dumped).
after looking at the hardware requirements, i realize that this pc may not be able to run it.
running on ubuntu 8.04
The PC hardware is of a Gateway profile 3:
P3@700mhz
256mb ram
onboard intel 810 vga

running a gnome desktop
tried uninstalling and reinstalling without any luck
also performed an apt-get upgrade. so all drivers and libraries should be up to date.
my boss really wants to get it working on this pc, so i wont hear the end of it till i get a solid conclusion/solution.
whoops this thread needs to be moved to linux support.

any advice/input would be appreciated,
Thanks,

Charles Lam
I can't find hard facts to prove this but I have my doubts that gfx card is up to snuff. See if you can con the boss man into upgrading it. Check out the VDPAU threads for recommendations if you plan to actually play video on that thing. The specs are less than the original Xbox.
and i believe that i need an intel 950x or better. i cant find any actual hard proof either. i tried searching the forums for VDPAU and couldnt find anything useful or concrete.

as for adding a new vidcard into it, thats a no go. its a slim pc (hence profile 3 name Tongue) and it doesnt have any expandable bays. i think i just need to tell him that the computer wont work for what he is wanting it to do. intel says that all the embedded chipsets support opengl 2.0 which sounds very fishy and ridiculous to me. but youre right it is less than an xbox and with all the crap running in the background is making this thing very sluggish. if you could help me find something written in stone somewhere that this wont work would be appreciated.
i also checked the log found on the root directory. it states a "GLX error: No Compatible Framebuffers found" is this a fatal error? >_< i have been searching the forums and google for segmentation faults and have found nothing relevant for the past 4 hours. someone please throw me a bone. >_<
well the definition of a segmentation fault error is an error that results in a block of memory trying to be written or accessed and it is already being used. i am going to go out on a limb and assume that it is because of 1. low system memory (256mb is not alot to work with) and 2. the vga is onboard using the system memory. and 3. the onboard video processor is not beefy enough as seeing it is below the minimum requirements (as well as the cpu). thanks althekiller for a quick reply.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
segfault after install0