Drops every now and then! Is 2 GB RAM enough?
CrashX Wrote:That really shouldn't matter much .. Yes Dual channel is alot faster but single channel should be more than enough for 720P playback ..

However as Haggy pointed out others HAVE solved problems by going dual channel with IGP solutions. Folks don't throw out these suggestions just for fun generally - really!Rolleyes
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
ultimasnake Wrote:I'm running rather low specs compared to what these guys have and i have no frame drops at all running movies etc on 720p!

My config is:

<snip>

What bitrate "720P"? Resolution is less of an issue than bitrate. You can run 1080 Apple Trailers and be fine but then try Killa' and crash. Both might be "1080" but wow what a difference bitrate makes. 720 is easier but say playing 1080 and putting it on a 720P screen for instance will likely take more CPU. You have to be concise...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
ultimasnake Wrote:I'm running rather low specs compared to what these guys have and i have no frame drops at all running movies etc on 720p!

My config is:

Amd athlon 3500+ (2.2 ghz single core if i'm correct)
1gb (2x512 mb crossair ddr [yes.. ddr1])
Gefore 6800GT AGP 128mb
1tb Sata-II wd disc (for media)
20gb Ide wd disc (for ubuntu + xbmc)

I never had ANY framedrops. I also didn't change much from the default ubuntu config.

Are you running any other applications? Maybe your hard-drive can't keep up with the datastream while running other applications like bittorrent for instance. But on a clean install XBMC should be running fine on most avarage systems in my findings....

Well I have thought about this to, but its not like the torrents are uploading very fast, and they are often not more then 2-4.

/Söder
Can this really be ok, with only 45 MB left of the RAM?

/Söder
This is linux - it actually USES available RAM unlike windows. Please look at output of 'free -tm' to actually see what is used and needed.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Haggy Wrote:This is linux - it actually USES available RAM unlike windows. Please look at output of 'free -tm' to actually see what is used and needed.

htpc@htpc-desktop:~$ free -tm
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1768 1716 52 0 4 676
-/+ buffers/cache: 1035 732
Swap: 5185 6 5178
Total: 6953 1723 5230

Is this ok? So you dont think my "lack" och RAM is what causing my drops?

/Söder
Also, you mention that you are running bittorrent in the background. What client are you using? Because Azureus (now Vuze, I guess), for example, is a cpu hog. And since you're not using vdpau, you're completely reliant on the cpu to decode. Combine that with a (relatively) weak cpu, and that could be the source of your skips.

Or maybe it's something else entirely.
fasteddy Wrote:Also, you mention that you are running bittorrent in the background. What client are you using? Because Azureus (now Vuze, I guess), for example, is a cpu hog. And since you're not using vdpau, you're completely reliant on the cpu to decode. Combine that with a (relatively) weak cpu, and that could be the source of your skips.

Or maybe it's something else entirely.

Im not running Torrents on the HTPC, only over the network, from my other PC. So using samba and saves on the HTPC.

/Söder
There is a thread about memory type concerns. A non-concern. Just the way Linux managed memory. Search and you will find the thread I am talking about.

Thanks.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I run 2gig on two different systems and one of those is running bittorrent to the same drive XBMC reads from using Transmission on the same box. Zero issues with memory or video playback. As others have said - 2gig is plenty. You're using AEON, I'm using PM3 HD, only real big difference. <shrug>
BLKMGK Wrote:I run 2gig on two different systems and one of those is running bittorrent to the same drive XBMC reads from using Transmission on the same box. Zero issues with memory or video playback. As others have said - 2gig is plenty. You're using AEON, I'm using PM3 HD, only real big difference. <shrug>

Well Aeon, or Mediastream, I got the drops anyway.

/Söder
soder Wrote:
Code:
htpc@htpc-desktop:~$ free -tm
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1768       1716         52          0          4        676
-/+ buffers/cache:       1035        732
Swap:         5185          6       5178
Total:        6953       1723       5230
You got 732MB available for apps. 676MB are i/o cache from the kernel which get freed if needed. As tslayer said: This is the way linux USES (write that in capitals) memory.
I usually only have 50MB of free physical ram while running XBMC. Linux caches fill up most of the available RAM, as stated before. It's a non-issue so don't worry about it. Might as well use that free RAM for something, so it's actually a desirable thing.

Code:
$ free -tm
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          2008       1950         58          0        104       1515
-/+ buffers/cache:        330       1678
Swap:         1953          5       1947
Total:        3961       1955       2006

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Drops every now and then! Is 2 GB RAM enough?0