[FEATURE REQUEST - ACCEPTED] Better navigation of libraries (filters etc.)
Enough with the "Wife Friendly" comments. Teach your wives how to use the system...Is my wife the only one out there that doesn't have these issues? I find it humorous how many guys throw out the "Hey, this should be wife friendly" when it is usually the guys themselves that are having the issues figuring out how to set their system up to be easy for their wife to use .
midgetspy Wrote:This as default behaviour seems really silly to me. There is already a button that gets you directly to the menu - Esc. Why cripple the Backspace button to make it behave like the Esc key? I understand that people don't want to back out through the filter menus - so press Esc! Removing functionality by making Backspace duplicate what Esc already does and then adding a menu item somewhere else seems really like the wrong way to go about it IMO.

When I hit "back to previous menu" I expect to go to the previous screen. If I clicked on Movies from main and was taken to a view where I could pick year/recent/etc and then I clicked into the listing of movies the current behavior of prev makes perfect sense. But when I go from main directly into a listing of movies I expect hitting previous to take me back to the screen I came from.

And it wouldn't be duplicate functionality for two buttons -- one takes you back to the main menu from *anywhere* (esc) and one takes you back to where you were previously (prev).

I agree that we need a good way to get to those filters, but I think making them appear when you hit previous makes little sense. How is that logical from a user interface point of view? Hitting previous takes you to some extra filters? But only when you're in the root of a view (movies/tv), otherwise if you're on any other screen (ex within a season of TV show) it's back to the previous screen for you!

Better would be to make those filters more accessible within the skin (pressing down at main menu, which yes does something else now but it worked very well for mediastream) or within the menu at the top for all the views.
parrots Wrote:When I hit "back to previous menu" I expect to go to the previous screen. If I clicked on Movies from main and was taken to a view where I could pick year/recent/etc and then I clicked into the listing of movies the current behavior of prev makes perfect sense. But when I go from main directly into a listing of movies I expect hitting previous to take me back to the screen I came from.

And it wouldn't be duplicate functionality for two buttons -- one takes you back to the main menu from *anywhere* (esc) and one takes you back to where you were previously (prev).

I agree that we need a good way to get to those filters, but I think making them appear when you hit previous makes little sense. How is that logical from a user interface point of view? Hitting previous takes you to some extra filters? But only when you're in the root of a view (movies/tv), otherwise if you're on any other screen (ex within a season of TV show) it's back to the previous screen for you!

Better would be to make those filters more accessible within the skin (pressing down at main menu, which yes does something else now but it worked very well for mediastream) or within the menu at the top for all the views.

Agreed. Filters should be accessed in a different way. How is going "back" to a menu you didn't see when you initially went forward intuitive? A previous or back button should do exactly that-- go to the previous screen. And as has been pointed out numerous times, this does not duplicate the ESC key, as that goes back to the main menu however deep you are in the menus.
redtapemedia Wrote:Agreed. Filters should be accessed in a different way. How is going "back" to a menu you didn't see when you initially went forward intuitive? A previous or back button should do exactly that-- go to the previous screen. And as has been pointed out numerous times, this does not duplicate the ESC key, as that goes back to the main menu however deep you are in the menus.

I agree, but this should be handled in XBMC and not in a skin.
smcnally75 Wrote:I agree, but this should be handled in XBMC and not in a skin.

Agree. I think that XBMC doing this by default doesn't make the most sense and the main program itself should implement a better solution.

However I don't think it'll change soon, and if a skin can implement a better solution now there is no reason to wait for XBMC to do it. The point of skins is to improve the program (visually or otherwise).
smcnally75 Wrote:Enough with the "Wife Friendly" comments. Teach your wives how to use the system...Is my wife the only one out there that doesn't have these issues? I find it humorous how many guys throw out the "Hey, this should be wife friendly" when it is usually the guys themselves that are having the issues figuring out how to set their system up to be easy for their wife to use .
LOL.. I don't typically say this but I have many friends who do. It's more that all this technology stuff that we love (and my house is filled with it), ends up not being used and people think it's too much trouble unless it's simple and intuitive, that's the bottom line. There are many work-arounds I deal with all the time that my wife says, "Eff it", and moves on to something else.

I see their point.
is this doable with one set in files mode instead of library? I want to add this for my pictures, but I can't figure out how to get it to go to my 'default' source with the ,return added.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[FEATURE REQUEST - ACCEPTED] Better navigation of libraries (filters etc.)0