Is this a good deal on a mini? $399 for the old model?
So I found a store selling the previous model for $399. What do you guys think? It is not all that much more than an AppleTV... I guess my only fear is that I will wake up tomorrow and someone will unlock using the GPU on the new NVidia mini to decode and I'll be in the dust bin of history... I don't know... seems like a good deal, though... I have one shot on goal with my wife and this whole deal, though, so if it aint great, I'm screwed!

But from where I stand, the worst thing about this deal is the graphics, no? The processor looks to be the same as the base model of the new version, but at $200 less. It has no Firewire 800 port... just the mini-DVI... which brings another question to mind...

If I want to use my nice Panasonic TV and set it to 720p or 1080p with the mini... will those two options appear in the display settings if I use a DVI to HDMI cable? I currently connect my Macbook to it via the miniDVI to VGA... I have to select a resolution that looks decent but I would swear that the movies are stretched in a funny way... I haven't bought a miniDVI to DVI to HDMI to test this theory out... but I was hoping one of you mini people would tell me one way or the other how the resolution is setup on your Plasma/LCD.

Here are the specs for this mini:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz
1GB DDR2-667 RAM
120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
SuperDrive Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
10/100/1000 Network
AirPort Extreme 802.11g Wireless Network
Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger
Display Not Included

It is $399 after a $50 savings and a $100 rebate.

Notice that it comes with Tiger... pretty funny... guess that means I have to upgrade to Leopard... it may be a misprint, though.
Well I had the previous previous gen a 1.6 core duo and it handled up to 720p no probs.

I would be wary of a store selling one with tiger sounds like second hand to me. (Or a scam)
Sad 
garyi Wrote:Well I had the previous previous gen a 1.6 core duo and it handled up to 720p no probs.

I would be wary of a store selling one with tiger sounds like second hand to me. (Or a scam)

Well... my plans were squashed by my fiancier (wife). Looks like I have to wait until later due to closing out on a house sale... oh well. I'll be spending $599 for something that has nearly the same specs.

If anyone wants one of these, it is from a reputable store. Go to microcenter.com I was going to order online and walk to the store (I work minutes by foot) to pick it up. Last I checked they had 20 of them in stock.

Best of luck friends... [sniff]
garyi Wrote:Well I had the previous previous gen a 1.6 core duo and it handled up to 720p no probs.

Well, I managed to finagle one... I decided that I would get it regardless of Tiger... I went to the store and just got it back... opened it up and it not only has Leopard, it has the iLife '09 drop-in disk. They are just getting rid of the old stock. I just saw that they updated the specs on the website too.. they now has 12 left in stock. You can't order it online, but you can place a hold on one... if you are in Boston in the next 3 days, you can pick it up... otherwise, they release it back into stock. Your card is charged when you go to the store... I imagine a few other Microcenters around the country have them too.

here are the specs now:

Okay... this deal just got a lot better... I made a decision to just get one... at $399 I would kick myself to pay $599 in a month for the same CPU. Well... I ordered it and went over to Microcenter... just got back and opened the box... here are the differences from what it said online:

It DOES have Leopard... it even has 10.5.4 on the disk
It comes with the drop-in disk for iLife '09!!

I was hoping for a Leopard disk... I didn't even expect iLife '09.. I don't even have that on my Macbook.

Anyway... so the price after the rebate is $399. I just checked online and they have 12 left in the store. Too bad it isn't available online... you can only put a 3 day hold on it and pick it up in person. I did this last night... if you are flying into Boston in the next few days it might be worthwhile... if you don't pick it up, they release it and your card is never charged.

On the website they actually changed the specs since yesterday... it now says Leopard...still says iLife '08, but the box has '09 in it.

* Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz
* 1GB DDR2-667 RAM
* 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
* SuperDrive Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
* 10/100/1000 Network
* AirPort Extreme 802.11g Wireless Network
* Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard
* Display Not Included

SKU: 854141
Mfr Part #: MB139LL/A
UPC: 885909175772