My list of observations, suggestions and bugs
Overall I'm very happy with Stark. It works and looks great. I realize it's still in beta though so here's some of what I've noticed so far:

1) Two ratings show on some movies (when IMDB has alternate versions)

From that movies nfo file:

Code:
<mpaa>Rated NC-17 for sexual violence, strong sexual situations &amp; dialogue, graphic drug use.;  Rated R for drug use, language, violence and nudity. (edited version)</mpaa>

2) No rating shows on G and PG movies when the only thing in the nfo's mpaa tag is "Rated G" or "Rated PG". It seems to work okay on PG movies if it has "Rated PG for blah, blah, blah"

Nfo:
Code:
<mpaa>Rated PG</mpaa>

3) When playing a physical DVD, I can't get the DVD menu to come up. Selecting it, brings up the audio settings.

4) Real minor one here. Spelling error in the video settings... vexile vs vexille.

5) Another minor one, backdrops sometimes bleed through into fanart when scrolling through movies. Here you can see as I changed over to Akeelah and the Bee, the Spider-Man backdrop I use from the main menu started to briefly show before the Akeelah fanart did.

6) Suggestion. I think it would look better to have the album art on the main bar in the music OSD. I know it can be added to the top one, but it looks weird up there to me. Also, it would be great if you could change the rating of the song while in the OSD (like you can in the PM3 OSD). I know you can change it in the song info menu, but it doesn't seem to save your changes. I think that might be an XBMC issue.

7) Crosspost from my other thread (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=47466&page=4). The movie info details needs more info, in my opinion. I know it can look cluttered if you get to much, but I would love to see runtime, imdb vote count, the reason for the mpaa rating, and the ability to see actor thumbs, scroll through more than five, and select them to bring up the menu for the other movies they are in.

8) The movie info OSD needs a little more info. Right now it only has the name of the movie and the poster. It would be great if it had some more details like year, genre, director, maybe even the plot but I think the most important thing to see when you hit info while playing a movie is the timer so you can see how many minutes of the movie is left.

The way PM3 handles this is my current favorite of all the skins. http://i41.tinypic.com/a107rs.jpg and http://i41.tinypic.com/59v775.jpg

Anyways... those are just a few observations I've made. I've only been playing with it for a few hours now but I'm loving Stark. I can't wait to use it full time on media center.
LaTropa64 Wrote:1) Two ratings show on some movies (when IMDB has alternate versions)

Trust Harvey Keitel to throw a spanner in the works. I'll look into that.

Quote:No rating shows on G and PG movies when the only thing in the nfo's mpaa tag is "Rated G" or "Rated PG". It seems to work okay on PG movies if it has "Rated PG for blah, blah, blah"

Ditto.

Quote:When playing a physical DVD, I can't get the DVD menu to come up. Selecting it, brings up the audio settings.

Drat.

Quote:Real minor one here. Spelling error in the video settings... vexile vs vexille.

Double drat.

Thanks for those. All useful.
I'm experiencing a weird bug where the wrong cast info is displayed for a movie… Not sure if this is an Aeon or XBMC bug? This happens for all my movies btw, but the info always belongs to another movie which is in my library.

Edit: Sorry; it was my database that was messed up!
LaTropa64 Wrote:Another minor one, backdrops sometimes bleed through into fanart when scrolling through movies. Here you can see as I changed over to Akeelah and the Bee, the Spider-Man backdrop I use from the main menu started to briefly show before the Akeelah fanart did.

I'll see about maybe hiding the standard backdrops while the fanart's up. A bit like spinning plates, that stuff.

Quote:Suggestion. I think it would look better to have the album art on the main bar in the music OSD. I know it can be added to the top one, but it looks weird up there to me.

More OSD options are on their way.

Quote:The movie info details needs more info, in my opinion. I know it can look cluttered if you get to much, but I would love to see runtime, imdb vote count, the reason for the mpaa rating.

As I posted elsewhere (I think), there'll be a Virtual Info Page for customising those screens. Quite a big job, though, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Quote:The movie info OSD needs a little more info. Right now it only has the name of the movie and the poster. It would be great if it had some more details like year, genre, director, maybe even the plot but I think the most important thing to see when you hit info while playing a movie is the timer so you can see how many minutes of the movie is left.

I'm ashamed to say that wasn't actually skinned at all. Whatever's there now is accidental. It will be, though, in a manner similar to the music info OSD.
LaTropa64 Wrote:8) The movie info OSD needs a little more info. Right now it only has the name of the movie and the poster. It would be great if it had some more details like year, genre, director, maybe even the plot but I think the most important thing to see when you hit info while playing a movie is the timer so you can see how many minutes of the movie is left.

There is also a function to tell you at what time the movie will end, which I think will be very nice to have in there.
djh, thanks! I'm really satisfied with the skin overall. I just can't get over how awesome it looks but it's good to here there are still some areas being worked on. I'm sure there's always going to be a few things that people are going to want different but I realize you can't make everyone happy, so make it how you like it. Smile

I just wish I had a little better programming skills so I could jump into some of these xml files and add a few custom things that I'm sure nobody else is interested in.
marirs Wrote:There is also a function to tell you at what time the movie will end, which I think will be very nice to have in there.
Cool. I didn't even know about that. It would definitely be very useful.
marirs Wrote:There is also a function to tell you at what time the movie will end, which I think will be very nice to have in there.
yeah, i learned of that a few weeks ago and its really nice having it tell you when your movie/tv show will end somewhere in the progress bar

Another couple of really minor bugs here:

Save as default dialogue is a little off

There's a tiny blue line on the homepage. I never noticed on my computer screen where I'm only running stark in a 1280x720 window but when I finally put the skin on my 46" HDTV at 1920x1080 it was definitely sticking out more. Of course, it's nothing serious. Smile
One more that I've ran into. The onscreen info while music is playing when browsing pictures isn't that great looking:

Also, there's no search option in the music library.
LaTropa64 Wrote:5) Another minor one, backdrops sometimes bleed through into fanart when scrolling through movies. Here you can see as I changed over to Akeelah and the Bee, the Spider-Man backdrop I use from the main menu started to briefly show before the Akeelah fanart did.

Has this been resolved? any work arounds?

I read in some posts a while back that a very specific svn build seems to not have this issue, but I like to use the latest SVN builds to gain the Nvidia VDPAU advantages.

I have tried 3 or 4 of the latest SVN builds in the last couple of weeks and they have all had this issue.

I am running the latest Stark build, downloaded today. Issue persists.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My list of observations, suggestions and bugs0