Need a little help setting up a Windows build
I've read everything I could find, and I apologize if I missed this somewhere. I'm a .NET developer and just getting into XBMC development. Ideally, I would like to build the Smoothvideo branch and add fftmpeg-mt for a good software-based MT 24p version.

I'm running VS2008, so I assumed I should be using the solution from the VS2008Express folder. Got the DX package installed and included in the build. The solution builds; however, when I run it, I get "This application has failed to start because SDL.dll was not found..." I have a feeling this is something stupid, so I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Also, I'm looking for documentation of the various branches and patches. If there are any good wikis or tutorials on merging, applying patches, etc., please let me know. Or maybe I have poor searching skills.

Thanks.
You're almost there. You need to set the XBMC_HOME environment variable (via the project settings) to a valid install path. While it is possible to use the source tree as the path, I highly recommend using the buildsetup.bat file in project/Win32BuildSetup/ to create a release build. It will also create a BUILD_WIN32 directory which you can use for XBMC_HOME. That should be all you need.

-C
Hmm, I built from svn as per the wiki instructions and then run buildsetup.bat. During the build it complained about a few things to do with the PM3.HD build, but it said it finished successfully.

After running the XBMC.exe in the BUILD_WIN32 folder I tried accessing a source and it froze - is this to do with the XBMC_HOME variable missing from my environment? Should I just add XBMC_HOME=C:\Path\to\BUILD_WIN32 to the environment in the project settings? Or if XBMC runs at all then is this just a bug not a build problem and I should run in debug to see what's going wrong?
Thanks - I'm closer, but still running into a few problems.

The Debug builds fine, but when I run it I get "Debug Error! ... This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way." The Release doesn't build, and VS gives me multiple "fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'samplerate.h': No such file or directory..."

I tried the buildsetup.bat, but it doesn't like that I don't have VS2008 Express (I'm running the full 2008 version).
midgetspy Wrote:Hmm, I built from svn as per the wiki instructions and then run buildsetup.bat. During the build it complained about a few things to do with the PM3.HD build, but it said it finished successfully.

After running the XBMC.exe in the BUILD_WIN32 folder I tried accessing a source and it froze - is this to do with the XBMC_HOME variable missing from my environment? Should I just add XBMC_HOME=C:\Path\to\BUILD_WIN32 to the environment in the project settings? Or if XBMC runs at all then is this just a bug not a build problem and I should run in debug to see what's going wrong?

At the very least, I would run in debug and see what you get. The 'Output' pane at the bottom of the debugger will show the debug log in real-time. Be sure to point your Working Directory (Project -> XBMC Properties -> Configuration Properties -> Debugging -> Working Directory) to the BUILD_WIN32 directory. If you still have problems, include a debug log with your next post. Be sure to enable debug logging in your xbmc settings.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Is there an alternative buildsetup.bat or a modification that will allow it to work with Visual Studio 2008, or should I just punt and download VCExpress to work on this?

-w
Just alter buildsetup.bat to work with vs2008, thats all.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Okay, I figured it out. In the project settings for the release build, the following folder was not listed in under "Include Directories"

Code:
..\..\xbmc\lib\libsamplerate\src

This problem may have been specific to the Smoothvideo branch I was trying to build. I just got the latest linuxport and it built from scratch with no problems.
it is because main branch doesn't use libsamplerate

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need a little help setting up a Windows build0