SSD for htpc
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-Intel...-Connector

Has anyone used one of those ^^

If so are they any good?
That was an odd picture to use regarding a standard SSD disk. Wink

Hovewer im planning on using a SSD disk in my new HTC PC setup.
Intel SSD disk are currently the ones you should select because they are the
top performers as of now. I bellive the Intel X25 80Gb S-ATA SSD should be a good investment. Then second i plan to get myselv a fanless geforce 9500 card and possibly a fansless power supply.

With SSD you will get some really seriously fast boot times wich is always nice as disk access is very fast with SSD's
Don't want an 80gb too large & expensive.
It's not a strange pic, that plugs into a pci-e slot diectly Wink

Ideally I only want 4-8gb tops. If i can't get an ssd that pulgs directly into the MB for a resonable price I'll have to just use a USB pendrive connected via the internal USB connectors.
if you want fast:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2480

Big Grin
I've got a 30 GB OCZ Vertex SSD drive in my XBMC HTPC. Works wonderful and boot times is way faster than with my old mechanical drive.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/fl...ii_2_5-ssd
I know that most older ssd disk from ocz and the likes had terrible random read/write speeds. Due to all of them using the same controller.
And benchmarks has proved that there was infact a huge difference in real world performance, The ones from Intel was the only disks who had really good performance across the line since they use their own controller.

However this was a few good months back in time and i bellive allot of the SSD manufactores has changed their controllers now. So the difference between the intel ones and the rest might not be as big any more.

But it's important not to read sequential benchmark data from SSD disks. Since sequential reading is almost never the case in the real world, typically in a OS it's the random access that needs to be good.

But it's sure gonna be fun to try a SSD disk ! Smile
well for my NSLU2 i use a 4gb pen drive for the debain install and it performs ok. so I reckon if i can get a decent speed usb pendrive then I can just tweak it to minimize writes.
The-Boxhead Wrote:I know that most older ssd disk from ocz and the likes had terrible random read/write speeds. Due to all of them using the same controller.
And benchmarks has proved that there was infact a huge difference in real world performance, The ones from Intel was the only disks who had really good performance across the line since they use their own controller.

However this was a few good months back in time and i bellive allot of the SSD manufactures has changed their controllers now. So the difference between the intel ones and the rest might not be as big any more.

But it's important not to read sequential benchmark data from SSD disks. Since sequential reading is almost never the case in the real world, typically in a OS it's the random access that needs to be good.

But it's sure gonna be fun to try a SSD disk ! Smile

The Intel drives are of course in a different league, both in performance and price. The recent OCZ Vertex series provides a good price/perfomance ratio if you don't want to shell out as much for the drive as for the rest of the system.

For me, the biggest reason to use SSD was to cut boot times, once the system is booted everything I play is from my fileserver. Have a look at this comparison for boot time performance :

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc...=3531&p=28
i use a OCZ Vertex, works great.
The-Boxhead Wrote:That was an odd picture to use regarding a standard SSD disk. Wink

Hovewer im planning on using a SSD disk in my new HTC PC setup.
Intel SSD disk are currently the ones you should select because they are the
top performers as of now. I bellive the Intel X25 80Gb S-ATA SSD should be a good investment. Then second i plan to get myselv a fanless geforce 9500 card and possibly a fansless power supply.

With SSD you will get some really seriously fast boot times wich is always nice as disk access is very fast with SSD's

I am not sure about the 9500 Fanless cards, but do some research first, I have an 8500 and 8600 512 cards and those things are like passive radiators inside the case. I have a Zalman hd135 and I have removed all the drive cages and have two 120mm SilenX fans pointing on an angle towards the Video Card. In any smaller case I am sure I would have temp issues. I also use a Zalman 600W heat-pipe power supply in the case and that has caused me NO problems but I would check out silentpcreview.com and see what psu's they are reviewing.

Did not want to get the thread off topic, but I just wanted to give you a heads up on the cards.

rgds,

Dave
Big Grin My 9400gt 1gb arrived today.. Tongue
Anyone got any idea what the boot speed off a Class 6 SD card either over USB or on a SATA adapter would be in comparison to a standard hard drive?

Same goes for a "fast" USB memory stick?
Boot speed might be decent, problem is random-write which is fairly terrible for most flash cards and thumbdrives. So writing to the library for example would be very slow.
I use symlinks to redirect .xbmc to a network share..

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e...alDiskMark

You can use that to benchmark your speeds, seems like an OK app but have really tested it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD for htpc0