Need Steps to setup AppleTV smb share
Hello Gurus ,

I am pretty new to ATV and XBMC .I was told by my colleagues about the ATV and XBMC I was very excited and went the apple showroom and picked up the ATV . I have searched the forums and succussfully installed XBMC and boxie . I could access both of the menus successfully. Now My struggles starts.

Q1 ) I have connected my external hard drive to APPLETV it does not recognize my external drive then I searched the forum and kind of go the hints that I can not use external hard drive with ATV and xbmc combination is that ture ?

Q2 ) Now I started my work towards the smb sharing .I have windoes XP pc with service pack 3 . I enabled the net work in WIN XP and and I could see the shared files in my PC (desk top ) in another computer . But My question is HOW COULD I access this files in ATV XBMC ...........Please do not answer look into the forum .....I searched the forum for few hours and .....I could not find any clear instructions to setup XBMC with windows share

.........Please some one post step by stepm process this would enable first time users like me to use the ATV XBMC with window share.

Please I really need experts inputs
1. That's probably dependent on where the appletv mounts the drive. I don't know if it does this by default or not. I'll defer to some OS X experts on this.

2. Go into whatever section you wish (videos, music, pictures etc.) then click on "Add Source". Then Browse. Then either go in via the Windows Sharing item (smb://) and browse, or click on "Add Network Share" and choose a windows share, enter username/password etc.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks Jmarshall taking some time to reply for my post and your reply is also very quick. Thanks again.

I have tried the following as per your suggestion.

1) I have made home network work group(Windows XP ) and connected two of my computers to the network group.

2) I made laptop/musichfolder shared in the network
3) I could see musicfolder shared in the other computer.

Now I turned on XBMC tried your suggestions.

1) I switched on o my XBMC ATV to access my musicfolder .

2) Navigated to "Music" Menu clicked on AddSource and clicked on Browse button

3)selected "Windows Network(SMB) "Browse for new share" appeared but I could not see any thing to select

Now I tried different option

4) Add network location A screen appeared with server name and shared folder
5) I clicked on shared folder It has few options like enter path on the server

I have no clue how to proceed from here .

Please help me with some inputs , Is there any prior settings I have to to on XBMC before I start accessing shared folders ........I am sure I am missing some thing here .

I have lot of my media as ISO and VOB that appletv can not play I bought the appletv only for xbmc since it can play any media type.

Please help
for the SMB issue, make sure you read through...

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Windows_File...SAMBA/CIFS)

I use a mac so i can't go into extreme detail, but i generally prefer the method setting up a separate user just for the appletv. just something simple like username appletv, and password appletv. make sure that user has access to that share, then in xbmc you can setup the standard username and password in the network settings.

as far as the external drive issue, it has been awhile since i set it up, but i'm assuming you will still have to enable the usb port which the best way to do it is to install nitotv through the appletv main menu and run the Smart Installer, then reboot the appletv and it should start showing up in xbmc automatically if you are running 9.04
I tried today again with my windows smb share .........It worked . All I have done is I restarted my apple TV and I think that is the problem ....after I Restart the apple tv it started working

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Steps to setup AppleTV smb share0