USB bootable build?
Why are you guys not just using XBMC Live (the 9.04 RC1 version just came out a few days ago):
http://xbmc.org/lcapriotti/2009/05/01/xb...bylon-rc1/

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live
Quote:XBMC Live is the XBMC media center software bundled with a embedded operating-system, for that set-top-box felling. XBMC Live also lets you easily boot to the XBMC Live CD in order to demo XBMC for your friends and family on practically any relatively modern computer, (as long as it was manufactured in the last 5-years or so it should meet the XBMC's minimum requirements).
What is XBMC Live?

XBMC Live is a boot-CD with XBMC working out-of-the-box without touching the users harddrive for demo purposes. Once booted, XBMC Live will give the user the option to do a installation of XBMC Live complete with embedded operating-system onto a 2GB (or larger) USB-flash-memory-stick or your internal harddrive for a permanent and dedicated set-top-box style installation of XBMC, currently with Microsoft's Windows MCE (Media Center Edition) Remote with USB IR-receiver reciever dongle as the default supported controller which is supported directly out of the box.

When installed onto a USB flash drive or hard disk drive XBMC Live ave the ability to save settings and make updates to XBMC Media Center and the operating-system back onto the USB flash drive or hard disk drive that it is installed onto, this is not possible when running XBMC Live only a a Live CD booting from a CD-ROM disc as they are read-only and any changes settings are only temporary saved until the system is rebooted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC_Live
Quote:XBMC Live is a free Linux distribution providing a complete packaged media center software suite for personal computers. XBMC Live uses XBMC Media Center for all media playback and is implemented as a bootable Live CD[1][2]. As a Live CD, the system does not need to be permanently installed to a hard disk drive, as most modern operating systems would. Instead, the computer can simply be booted with the XBMC Live CD when media playback is desired. This is a reasonable approach for those who do not need media playback services while performing other tasks with the same computer, or for users who wish to repurpose older computers as media center, and for those seeking a free alternative to Windows Media Center, or for those who simply want to try out the XBMC Media Center software for the first time without having to install anything.

Following the principles of Mythbuntu, KnoppMyth, Mythdora, and GeeXboX. XBMC Live is also designed to simplify a permanent installation of XBMC Media Center onto a computer to be used as a dedicated HTPC (Home Theater PC) in the living-room, as such the user can directly install XBMC Media Center from the bootable XBMC Live CD to either a USB flash drive or to an internal hard disk drive as it comes with a complete (Linux based) embedded operating system[1][2]. When installed onto a USB flash drive or hard disk drive XBMC Live ave the ability to save settings and make updates to XBMC Media Center and the operating-system back onto the USB flash drive or hard disk drive that it is installed onto, this is not possible when running XBMC Live only a a Live CD booting from a CD-ROM disc as they are read-only and any changes settings are only temporary saved until the system is rebooted.

Also good to know is that Microsoft MCE Remote and IR-receiver dongle for Windows Media Center works with XBMC Live directly out of the box
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
In my case I actually missed the existence of the liveCD in the beginning. Now I prefer to have the "full" OS and window manager available. This way I can do some troubleshooting & admin and also learn some linux.

I am looking forward to the new possibility to select xbmc in the "session selector" http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=xsession

This seem to be the best way to run it! At least for me...
Gamester17 Wrote:Why are you guys not just using XBMC Live (the 9.04 RC1 version just came out a few days ago)

tried it, it booted by itself fine but still had the 3 problems of the 360 controller not working (understandable, that requires the controller driver anyway), purple display output, and the network not working. I tried to install it but had lots of I/O errors. Upon completion it would get to the first screen asking for a username, the screen would constantly flicker black, but wasn't just a display problem. I couldn't even type anything
For some reason linux hates me I just cannot get it to work in any form through installation. Even on my main computer I get stupid problems like corrupted text, just doesn't make any sense to me. So I gave up

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB bootable build?0