glxinfo: Error: unable to open display
I'm having difficulties getting XBMC Live to work on an old laptop. All the places I've searched uses glxinfo to check up on the hardware. When I run glxinfo all I get is:

Error: unable to open display

I've tried setting the DISPLAY-variable manually without luck. The command xhost +localhost also fails with the same error message.

What should I do to get glxinfo to work?
please read the sticky on how to post problems in a useful manner.
I've installed xbmc on the HDD of a DELL Latitude D600 (x86 with an ATI RV250 (Radeon Mobility 9000)) using the "XBMC Live 8.10"-distibution CD. When I try to diagnose why I'm having problems getting X to work I SSH to the machine and run the command glxinfo which fails.

I would expect glxinfo to work regardless of how the machine is set up. As this is not the case what should be set up for this command to work?

(I hope I provided enough information this time Blush)
First of all, you'd better use a newer version, RC1 or Gold (out in a few hours).
Start Live in "SAFE MODE - AMD/ATI", log on and type "startx".
You will land to a standard X desktop with fluxbox as WM.
From there you will be able to perform all the tests you need - and launch xbmc as well.
Which graphics type are you trying to start on the D600? ATI will not work. The binary ATI video driver won't work with the graphics chipset on the D600, the Mobility 9000, as it's considered a legacy chipset by ATI and is not supported under thier binary/proprietary driver. At best you can launch it with the Intel drivers. It'll work, but it's very slow.
l.capriotti Wrote:First of all, you'd better use a newer version, RC1 or Gold (out in a few hours).
Start Live in "SAFE MODE - AMD/ATI", log on and type "startx".
You will land to a standard X desktop with fluxbox as WM.
From there you will be able to perform all the tests you need - and launch xbmc as well.

I've now installed Babylon and I'm now able to see output from GLXInfo. Now I just have to figure out how to setup X correctly for XBMC... Wink
pumkinut Wrote:Which graphics type are you trying to start on the D600? ATI will not work. The binary ATI video driver won't work with the graphics chipset on the D600, the Mobility 9000, as it's considered a legacy chipset by ATI and is not supported under thier binary/proprietary driver. At best you can launch it with the Intel drivers. It'll work, but it's very slow.

I'm trying to get the Open Source Drivers to work as ATIs Radeon RV250 Mobility 9000 card is unsupported in the Binary ATI Drivers.

I'm confident that the Open Source Drivers should work as I've seen several post regarding people getting Compiz to work on Ubuntu on a Dell Latitude D600. I just haven't had any luck yet...

(At one point I did get XBMC to work using the VESA drivers. Boy was that SLOW. Probably 0.1 FPS... )

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
glxinfo: Error: unable to open display0