[RELEASE] Quick Thumbnail Generator Tool (for Linux, Mac, and Windows)
webmosher Wrote:Hi Paul,

Sorry for this, I have found a bug where the path names for Windows files (using the backslash) are somehow confusing Mediainfo. I have a update that I am finishing some testing on and hope to upload today. It includes a fix for this problem.

Thanks,
Fred
Cheers and thanks for the reply as i was going nut's thinking it was something i was doing
wrong or not doingHuh look forward to the fix thanks
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
Sorry for the delay with this release. The amount of testing needed for one of the new features along with real life issues caused the delay. Anyhow, the parent post has been updated with the new download link, but here it is as well:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mfgygujrje...er-1.2.zip

Features and changes for this version are as follows:
  • NEW: Image "filtering", provides rudamentary blur and darkness detection in thumbnails and allows automatic discarding of these "bad" images.
  • NEW: External path name file. Place any number of paths into this file and they will all be scanned automatically. See the thumber.paths file for more details.
  • NEW: Improved thumbnail output quality. It seemed to me that image quality wasn't as nice as I wanted. I found FFMPEG allows the quality to be changed, and set the quality to the highest level. This may use a bit more space, but the images are much nicer.
  • NEW: Thumbnail resizing using SWScaler filters. Lanczos for downscale, Gauss for upscale (removes blocking better).
  • FIX: Path handling & detection changes for Windows/Linux
  • FIX: Handle missing media info errors.
  • FIX: Bugs in aspect ratio handling when using command line options.

Some notes on the new features:
  • Image detection - The blur detection is not exact, and uses a very rudamentary idea to detect the value of edges in the image. In some cases where a motion blur occurs on an scene with high levels of contrast, the detector will still see a valid image. Also, in some cases with HD content, an undesired image may have alot of detail (say a closeup of the ground). In this case, the very high edge level will still see a valid image. In general, the image detection should find better images overall, but your mileage may vary. If you have concerns about the discards, you can set the config to keep the discards and examine the "bad" images manually.
  • Output quality & resizing - Output quality of images has been set to its highest value. This greatly improves thumbnail quality from HD sources. Additionally, FFMPEG will now use SWScaler filters for resizing. I use Lanczos for downsizing and Gauss for upsizing. The choice of Gauss was used because it helps to remove the blockiness of the resized images. Note: If you are compiling your own FFMPEG, be sure to include the SWScaler library. This is normally included automatically from the SVN repository.

Hope this helps.
Nice! Will try it out tonight with some HD. Thank you.
Thanks for the update will test out later tonight, will let you know how it goesSmile
thanks for this essential tool.
Nod
Thanks.
Nice, thanks! Running under XP though I found that the timeout parameter is ignored, so it will get stuck on a movie forever if for some reason it can't decode any decent thumbs out of it.

Makes batch processing a bit tricky Tongue

Also, it keeps randomlyn dying with this message:

Illegal division by zero at script/thumber.win32 line 545, <FILELIST> line 17

Any ideas?
brave little meme loves you.
Works great it now handles all my .vob and .mpg4 files thanks for your hard work on this.
I can finally finish my movie librarySmile
Doraemonn Wrote:Nice, thanks! Running under XP though I found that the timeout parameter is ignored, so it will get stuck on a movie forever if for some reason it can't decode any decent thumbs out of it.

Makes batch processing a bit tricky Tongue

Also, it keeps randomlyn dying with this message:

Illegal division by zero at script/thumber.win32 line 545, <FILELIST> line 17
I'll take a look at this. I have a specific WMV file that causes me alot of headaches. Its what I used to test the timeout feature. If you are on XP, make sure you use the EXE or the win32 version of the script. The normal UNIX thumber script will not timeout properly in Windows. Its an issue with Perl threads/forks that simply cannot be overcome without a platform specific change.

If you want to try a workaround for the time being: create an extrathumbs directory in the movie folder that is causing the problem. As long as you're not using overwrite, it will skip that movie.

Thanks for your input.
The new 'Image detection' works pretty well, thanks.
Very cool tool! Thanks.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the filtering though.
With filtering, I'm unable to get any thumbs.
The log states: thumb1.jpg discarded... too black.

When keeping discared thumbs, I see they are all named like this: thumb1.black-0-4407.jpg
where "0" is in all. They are not all completly black, so I suspect something could be wrong with the filtering method.

Am I missing something?
ErlendSB Wrote:Very cool tool! Thanks.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the filtering though.
With filtering, I'm unable to get any thumbs.
The log states: thumb1.jpg discarded... too black.

When keeping discared thumbs, I see they are all named like this: thumb1.black-0-4407.jpg
where "0" is in all. They are not all completly black, so I suspect something could be wrong with the filtering method.

Am I missing something?

Sounds like the ImageMagick programs are not running correctly on your system. First off, you might try seeing if you need to upgrade ImageMagick. However, if you are using the default Windows version, you should be fine as long as you have not changed the ImageMagick path. Next, check that the program is creating its temporary images in the tmp directory that you have specified. If you are using the default Windows setup, this should be the tmp directory inside the program folder. If you have created a new tmp area, make sure the program has access to write to it. You should see three image files in the tmp directory. The first is a fixed black image that is the size of your thumbnails. The next is an edge detection image that is generated by from the movie thumbnail and the third is the difference image for the comparision functions. If either the black image is missing or the edge detection image is completely black, this is the problem. If you want, you can do a debug log on a single folder with the problem and send it to me as a PM. (you can stop it after a bit so its not too large).

Lastly, the thumbnail generated by FFMPEG may be blank. I personally have not had this happen yet, but there are so many potential problems with FFMPEG, that it might be possible. The default version of FFMPEG that comes with the Windows version should work fine, but if you are running on Linux, I strongly recommend upgrading. You can either build it from source, or find a repository for your distribution with pre-built copies.

Hope this helps
Spot on!

I needed to upgrade ImageMagick. Maybe not upgrade it, but include some extra files in the im folder.
Besides:
compare.exe
convert.exe

I added these from the imagemagick zip, sownloaded from here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles...e_id=47692:
mfc90.dll
Microsoft.VC90.ATL.manifest
Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest
Microsoft.VC90.MFC.manifest
Microsoft.VC90.OpenMP.manifest
msvcp90.dll
msvcr90.dll
vcomp90.dll

I''m using vista 64bit.

Thank for the help, and for a great tool.
ErlendSB Wrote:Spot on!

I needed to upgrade ImageMagick. Maybe not upgrade it, but include some extra files in the im folder.
Besides:
compare.exe
convert.exe

I added these from the imagemagick zip, sownloaded from here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles...e_id=47692:
mfc90.dll
Microsoft.VC90.ATL.manifest
Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest
Microsoft.VC90.MFC.manifest
Microsoft.VC90.OpenMP.manifest
msvcp90.dll
msvcr90.dll
vcomp90.dll

I''m using vista 64bit.

Thank for the help, and for a great tool.

Thanks for this it fixed a problem I had where all my thumbnails were being rejected for being too dark.
I must be doing something wrong the old one did work for me but when I use 1.2 the dos box loads for one second then goes and does nothing if i drop a folder onto the *.exe it just creates the extrathumbs folder but no thumbs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Quick Thumbnail Generator Tool (for Linux, Mac, and Windows)2