linux noob and xbmc noob questions
so guys i just got ubuntu 9.04 and love it and really wanna use xbmc on my laptop, i thought that i did everything right, installed xbmc (i think?) and did all the stuff in software sources... but for some reason i can't find where any of the files for xbmc are located? or did they just not install? sorry for the lack of information but i'm not sure what everything is called on this yet
please some more infos#:

1: 2 cents about your system
2: which kind of Ubuntu? (Desktop/Server/mini)
3: which kind of achitecture? x32bit/x64bit
4: how do you have installed xbmc? just discribe the way in short points

after that, maybe someone can help you Smile

thanks
new system in the house...
As said in the previous post a little more info would help us to help you... instead of point 4, you can also point us to a howto you followed.

If you followed the right procedures, than the install command from XBMC has put al the installation files in different folders on your system. This can look strange at first when you new to linux but its better than in one folder like on windows in the program files folder. Use google to learn more about the file structure of ubuntu.

When you've done a succesfull install of XBMC, than you can start it by typing in a terminal session: XBMC. If xbmc starts correctly than you can configure the xbmc following the online manual.

Under ubuntu you can find your personal settings, skins folder, script folders, etc in /home/[your username]/.xbmc

.xbmc is a hidden folder, so you'll need to set you file explorer to show hidden files.
tmpdir Wrote:As said in the previous post a little more info would help us to help you... instead of point 4, you can also point us to a howto you followed.

If you followed the right procedures, than the install command from XBMC has put al the installation files in different folders on your system. This can look strange at first when you new to linux but its better than in one folder like on windows in the program files folder. Use google to learn more about the file structure of ubuntu.

When you've done a succesfull install of XBMC, than you can start it by typing in a terminal session: XBMC. If xbmc starts correctly than you can configure the xbmc following the online manual.

Under ubuntu you can find your personal settings, skins folder, script folders, etc in /home/[your username]/.xbmc

.xbmc is a hidden folder, so you'll need to set you file explorer to show hidden files.

didn't know that's how i open it in the terminal!! it opened up but i got this message in terminal
"The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set."
and to the other poster...
i have an hp laptop, 4 gigs of ram, i have vista and ubuntu 9.04, my vista is 64bit, ubuntu though was installed using wubi, and i installed xbmc using the instructions on this site

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
linux noob and xbmc noob questions0