Linux Lirc question
I'm trying to get my Harmony 555 remote working with XBMC and I'm having some issues, I using linux ubuntu 9.04.

I brought a Cyberlink remote off ebay for £10 thinking I might as well just buy the cheapest remote possible as I only really want the IR receiver the acutely remote can go in the bin. I have programed the Harmony remote to work as a MCE remote and installed lirc but it doesn't work.

It's a quick question really can any USB IR receiver work with any remote? For some reason I thought that it would just be a standard so any combination would work together, maybe I was wrong!!!!

next question would this remote work out of the box with xbmc http://www.zonetronics.com/products/MS_W...160-0.html or does any one know where I can buy one that will work out the box in the UK.
making any IR remote work with xbmc includes 2 steps:
1- making it work with irw (see lircd documentation)
2- hacking Lircmap.xml and Keymap.xml to make the codes seen and used by xbmc (see relevant do in the forum stickies or the wiki)
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I'm... dreaming... of a quiet... HTPC
have you done:

Code:
sudo apt-get install lirc

then type irw in a terminal and see if you are getting a response.
ﻪﻥﻋﺸﻷﻜﻈﭚ
onesojourner Wrote:have you done:

Code:

then type irw in a terminal and see if you are getting a response.

Code:

Run that command and it says it's already installed 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.

Then when I type irw a process starts running that never seem to finish. Cursor moves to a new blank link, then nothing.
read lirc manual to setup lircd.
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
bidossessi Wrote:read lirc manual to setup lircd.

That's a local link?

If your referring to the lirc homepage is might as well be in german, seems pretty complex. If I get a MCE remote and the boot in to XBMC live everything will work out the box correct?
it's really not that complex. I was able to totally customize my HVR-110 remote (Hauppauge Nova-S Plus), including the color buttons just by making sure that the correct input device was found.
If you are ready to invest a little time in reading, you WILL find a solution.
Never used an MCE remote, but it is said to be supported.
I think it's a shame, though. the Harmony remote deserves a little bit more tinkering to get it working, it's such a beauty. Smile
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
bidossessi Wrote:it's really not that complex. I was able to totally customize my HVR-110 remote (Hauppauge Nova-S Plus), including the color buttons just by making sure that the correct input device was found.
If you are ready to invest a little time in reading, you WILL find a solution.
Never used an MCE remote, but it is said to be supported.
I think it's a shame, though. the Harmony remote deserves a little bit more tinkering to get it working, it's such a beauty. Smile

I have just spent the last 4 hours trying to get it to work and haven't really got anywhere. Confused

I'll still use my harmony remote it's already sent up to clone the MCE so it should work without any problems.

The issue that I'm having here is with the Cyberlink IR receiver, it doesn't seem to recognise when I press a button. My understanding is that XBMC Live should work without any sort of configuration with MCE remote. I have booted up XBMC Live and my Harmony remote (cloning MCE) and this not picking up anything.

I guess that all IR receivers are slightly different I thought that they would all work the same. I'm probably going to give up, buy a MCE remote and IR receiver then use my Harmony with that.
that might work since MCE remotes are well supported in linux through mce_usb i think. good luck.
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
Ok, you have lirc installed. This is step 1.
Next, you need a proper configuration: /etc/lircd.conf

There are a bunch of tutorials out there in the wild.
But before you do some manual effort, really try to find a configuration file for your remote.
(Harmony remotes may be somewhat special since they are programmable? or so, but at least for "regular" remotes, there are tons of configurations available on the LIRC homepage.)

http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/

Oh, btw:
irw is a process that shows you activity on you /dev/lircd (or other, if configured so) device. Press a button on your remote to see some output. Use Ctrl-C to close the program. --> So, this is correct.
After having lirc installed, try this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=306606&postcount=6
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux Lirc question0