VDPAU stutters/slowdown problems when playing some videos
Hi,

I'm suffering video slowdowns and stutters when playing them with VDPAU enabled (even though there are not dropped frames). The slowdowns are random and somehow subtle but noticeable as even my wife does see them Laugh

I have not noticed anything playing the same videos using the standard render. The weird thing is that I notice it also when playing xvid encoded videos (I thought vdpau was not used in that case Huh).

As a quick search in the forum didn't find anything (I'm using a fairly common hardware) I suspect the problem might be related to using the subtitles overlay as I *always* watched my videos with subtitles or maybe due to the x64 ubuntu version. I'm using latest svn version on a ubuntu intrepid x64, nvidia driver is 185.18.14. Mobo is ASUS p5n7a-vm with integrated graphics.

Any of you guys have noticed this? Let me know if a debug log might help... Oo

Regards,
pilluli Wrote:Let me know if a debug log might help... Oo

please pastebin:

a) debug log with "stuttering" video
b) debug log with video content playing fine

(it's easier because we don't have to search the whole debug log session for the right video playing)

I don't get the stuff you're writing about the subtitles... did you actually try playing a "problematic" video file without subtitles enabled?

also, du you really need x64? for XBMC and HTPC purposes, x86 ubuntu and drivers usually run into less problems. it may be useful for you to upgrade your whole installation to a jaunty x86 minimal installation as provided in the XBMCbuntu guide.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hi Hannes,

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to create a debug log asap:

Hannes The Hun Wrote:I don't get the stuff you're writing about the subtitles... did you actually try playing a "problematic" video file without subtitles enabled?

Nope, as I said before, slowdowns are random and not very common so it is difficult for me to reproduce the problem. In any case, the slowdowns are there as both my wife and me can see them.

Quote:also, du you really need x64? for XBMC and HTPC purposes, x86 ubuntu and drivers usually run into less problems. it may be useful for you to upgrade your whole installation to a jaunty x86 minimal installation as provided in the XBMCbuntu guide.

I know but unfortunately I use the computer also for work so I need the x64. It has been working almost perfectly until now...

Again, thanks for the reply, I'll post a log later today...
Hi,

I managed to get a log of the problem. This is my log when playing two videos, the first one I didn't notice anything (i was rewinding and fastworward it). The second one had slowdowns in the first 30sec/1min and I was doing a normal viewing (no fastfoward/rewind)

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/205390/

Here is another log with VDPAU off doing more or less the same as before. No slowdowns were noticed:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/205392/

This is using a x264 encoded video, maybe my previous comment was indeed wrong and I'm experiencing this with x264 encoded videos and not xvid. Regards,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDPAU stutters/slowdown problems when playing some videos0