[WINDOWS] Direct patch into SQLite and XBMC's database?
Having written MR and taken the venue of nfo files and the like I have come to the conclusion that this route is painful and essentially requires the user to rescan his collection more or less completely every time changes are supplied from the external application.

I have taken a look at the SQLite implementation an it seems straightforward enough to abandon the whole nfo business and patch into the database directly. Philosophically I do not subscribe to the .NET coding, nor platform specific code which is why I don't really see myself contributing to the current XBMC design. Cross-platform wise I believe and sort of C++/CLI code is flawed bt I do not want to get into a philosophical discussion.

I have been fascinated by UMM but the project seems to be going nowhere and ergo am looking into writing the server as is on a container platform but on one end there is still the XBMC database. I can only see myself on this end writing consumers that directly modify this database while evolving the current MR project into a web services platform using likely a RESTful API. I know I am sort of breaking the mold here and going off on a tangent but there is no general movement so why not kick the tires and give it a shot?

Here is where it gets down to the direct modification of the SQLite tables while maintaining the existing schema for now.

What is the official policy here: Are update/Delete SQL a no-no or do you see a level of tolerance for this? I can see this going out of sync on a release level but at least for the duration of a release something media-server like would emerge (which cannot be said for the current state of UMM affairs). It would also relieve XBMC from any licensing restrictions due t he decoupling of the code.

Back to the question: Do you utterly resist the SQlite update?

As for the forum I am posting this in: None of the forums seemed fit for applying this, it's neither an XBMC development ticket, independent of UMM, really and a support-like question but independent o platform. So before getting flamed I had to pick some location and this was it. Transfer as you deem appropriate.
I think some of the other media updaters/scrapers are directly updating the XBMC DB.

I don't think anyone has an issue with people doing it... is that the question?

btw... I believe the reason this was done was to facilitate an easy way for end-users to update the XBMC database without messing directly with the DB itself.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
You can interface directly with the database all you like. We don't officially support any of the external managers, but we see the use of them, and have no problem if you inject data directly into the database. Obviously if you screw stuff up then people will stop using your app :p

Given that you want to do a RESTful style thing, perhaps you'd be interested in contributing to something using CouchDb rather than sqlite?

I've started investigating it, and it looks really nice, and extremely amenable to external managers etc (it has it's own webinterface where you can alter data already, and it just uses JSON to update stuff).

Drop me a PM if you're interested - I have an example dB that I'm working on (using python to fill and query it atm), just starting to add views to it now. Someone who is at home with javascript will speed things up enormously, so that I can move on to getting the interaction with XBMC side of things down.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

@rernst, you might be interested in the discussion that is going on in this other thread as it seem to is somewhat related:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37449

Also, slash posted in the UMM thread about a other project that inject data directly into the database using JSON for data access:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50388&page=17
slash Wrote:Hi all,

I'm jumping in a bit late on this thread but I started to build a web application that manage my medias directly from XBMC database. here are some infos and screenshots. Let me know what you think.

- All javascript (ExtJS)
- Cross-platform via browser http://<xbmc-ip>/<mywebapp>
- Uses JSON for data access
- compatible with SQLite (XBMC DB) and XML files (NFO)
- Will be compatible with XBMC DB evolution (MySQL or CouchDB)

Allows :
- View current XBMC database infos per media
- group view
- change field values

I mostly did this Web App to change genres and some other fields without using NFO files and also to learn some web dev.

I have it working for movies only but I plan in the next few weeks to add:
TVSeries and music.

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Direct patch into SQLite and XBMC's database?0