Dolby Digital audio output lacks 'punch' when not using pass-through mode?
tslayer Wrote:FYI, I have combined the setting into one and moved to the <audio> section now.

It should now be:

<audio>
<applydrc>false</applydrc>
</audio>

Hi Will this work for passthrough DTS/DD as well. I have digital passthrough and for DTS sources, all loud explosions are dampned out on XBMC. They sounds great with external player, thats the only reason I use external player.
Setup
Kodi v17.6
Gigabyte GA-Z85N-WIFI + Intel 4670K with onboard gfx / sound
Win 7 Prof 64bit + Denon X3100 + Benq HT1070
Please read the previous page in this thread.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
rimmi2002 Wrote:Hi Will this work for passthrough DTS/DD as well. I have digital passthrough and for DTS sources, all loud explosions are dampned out on XBMC. They sounds great with external player, thats the only reason I use external player.

if you get differences between players, one of them isnt using passthrough. if it was they would be IDENTICAL.

my guess would be xbmc is not actually passing through. so you are probably only getting stereo.
tslayer Wrote:It won't be exposed. We already had that discussion. Go read the trac ticket for more details.
I've read the ticket. Help me understand, please.

phi2039 position, that guided the decision, is that the setting must not be exposed until DRC is applied to all sound sources and not just AC3 and DTS? Is that correct?
If this is correct, two notes:

1) I interpret this as "in the future the setting will be in GUI, once MasterAudio is part of the main branch". This is good. Smile

2) In the meantime, though, I beg to disagree. A simple "Night mode (AC3/DTS)" would be consistent with how the majority of receivers present such a setting and would not be too misleading.
I don't think to be alone in not wanting DRC during the day but finding it usable and desirable at night (also: even if I went digital passthrough my receiver, an Onkyo TX-DS797, has Night Mode only for AC3).
You are correct.

For 2, you'll just have to wait. It does not make sense to put something there right now when it will just change. I understand your point, but currently, this option isn't touched by 99% of the users. So, until we have it properly implemented it will stay as an advancedsetting.

Thanks.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Fine, it's no major hurdle for me. My only point was that it would have been easy to have a "Night Mode (AC3/DTS)" now and then switch to an all-inclusive "Night Mode".

Then again, you are the developers and I respect your choices.

Thanks for clearing it up. Smile
neil.j1983 Wrote:if you get differences between players, one of them isnt using passthrough. if it was they would be IDENTICAL.

my guess would be xbmc is not actually passing through. so you are probably only getting stereo.

XBMC is definately using passthrough and so is the external player using AC3filter. Both sources are read as DTS on the reciever. However the external player via AC3filter always sounds better, especially for loud explosions and high action movies.
Setup
Kodi v17.6
rimmi2002 Wrote:XBMC is definately using passthrough and so is the external player using AC3filter. Both sources are read as DTS on the reciever. However the external player via AC3filter always sounds better, especially for loud explosions and high action movies.

do you have a DTS interactive/DTS connect soundcard? If you dont then that's REALLY odd.
neil.j1983 Wrote:do you have a DTS interactive/DTS connect soundcard? If you dont then that's REALLY odd.

hmm not sure sure what that is, but I am using onboard audio frme the mobo Realtek 8887 or something which supports digital audio and my reciever is Onkyo SR606 which is also very DTS capable.
Setup
Kodi v17.6
rimmi2002 Wrote:hmm not sure sure what that is, but I am using onboard audio frme the mobo Realtek 8887 or something which supports digital audio and my reciever is Onkyo SR606 which is also very DTS capable.

I have the realtek 8887 also which has no built in AC3 or DTS decoder and just passes through the digital signal. Not sure why you are hearing a difference on your end. Might be time to paste your relavent audio logs from the xbmc.log in your installation directory.
rimmi2002 Wrote:hmm not sure sure what that is, but I am using onboard audio frme the mobo Realtek 8887 or something which supports digital audio and my reciever is Onkyo SR606 which is also very DTS capable.

i've got the same receiver, and I can't hear a difference between players when bitstreaming DTS.
Can someone tell me exactly how to make the "Advancedsettings.xml" file? I have looked on the forum.. but it is a little confusing. Do I just need to make a text file with the following in it and name it to advancedsttings.xml:

<audio>
</audio>

OR

Does it need to include exactly as follows:

<advancedsettings>
<audio>
</audio>

Huh? Please help!
Jopplehead Wrote:Can someone tell me exactly how to make the "Advancedsettings.xml" file? I have looked on the forum.. but it is a little confusing. Do I just need to make a text file with the following in it and name it to advancedsttings.xml:

<audio>
</audio>

OR

Does it need to include exactly as follows:

<advancedsettings>
<audio>
</audio>

Huh? Please help!

i found the easist way to make an .xml is just to right click and copy an already exsisting xml file then paste to desktop then right click on it and click on edit this should open it with notepad then highlight and delete everything

<advancedsettings>
<audio>
</audio>
<advancedsettings>

then i just close it and choose to save it
then right click on it and rename it to advancedsettings

hope this helps
That helps alot! Thank you!
I've read the whole post and I either misunderstood the answer, or the question didn't get an answer (or I just didn't find it).

I'm not sure if I'm missing this "punch" you're talking about, as I don't have anything to really compare to, but if I actually AM missing the "punch", then I'd like to have it. If there's anything that can get better with my movie-experiences, I'd like to apply it.

I've setup XBMC to use Digital Output with 5.1 to my Logitech Z-5450 surround. I'm using the spdif (optical).

If I understand the thread correctly, the "punch" is/was (?) only missing for analog outputs, is that true?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby Digital audio output lacks 'punch' when not using pass-through mode?0