Dolby Digital audio output lacks 'punch' when not using pass-through mode?
Not sure.

My guess is that it is used when you don't use passthrough. So, I think it can be used even if you use spdif connection but don't set the AC3/DTS option in GUI. That is what I did.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tslayer Wrote:Once you get a build with this, let me know if it works. I don't have the ear for this kind of thing, so the change was done without really testing.

Thanks.

i'll let you know within 24h of a build being out.
tslayer Wrote:Not sure.

My guess is that it is used when you don't use passthrough. So, I think it can be used even if you use spdif connection but don't set the AC3/DTS option in GUI. That is what I did.

I should have said using digital pass-through...thanks for the info...
tslayer Wrote:Once you get a build with this, let me know if it works. I don't have the ear for this kind of thing, so the change was done without really testing.

Thanks.

it's a gazillion times better!

possible even 6.02x10^23 time better!

thanks again.

it is for when you are not using passthrough. i.e analog out.
FYI, I have combined the setting into one and moved to the <audio> section now.

It should now be:

<audio>
<applydrc>false</applydrc>
</audio>

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Thanks tslayer, I've been looking forward to this as well.
tslayer Wrote:FYI, I have combined the setting into one and moved to the <audio> section now.

It should now be:

<audio>
<applydrc>false</applydrc>
</audio>

thanks for keeping us up to date. i would've missed that in the svn change list!
the online manual for advanced settings still refers to the old one with DTS/AC3 seperate. i hope i'm not stepping on any toes pointing it out.
I'll fix.. Thanks.

Is DRC on on XBOX ? I use the optical output for AC3/DTS, never noticed a lack of "punch" when needed but I'm not a sound expert.
defee Wrote:Is DRC on on XBOX ? I use the optical output for AC3/DTS, never noticed a lack of "punch" when needed but I'm not a sound expert.

DRC only impacts analog connections and maybe the OP should edit the subject title to reference analog connection, if possible, as the Dolby digital is confusing. He did state "not using pass-through but I bet the vast majority do not understand he implied analog.
i'm not sure how to edit the thread title. but i've editted the first post.
If the default option DRC gets applied to both DTS and AC3?

I think that setting ought to be exposed in the GUI. Many receivers offer a discrete remote command for Night listening.
It won't be exposed. We already had that discussion. Go read the trac ticket for more details.

edit- nevermind. mis understood a post.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby Digital audio output lacks 'punch' when not using pass-through mode?0