[LIVE] XBMC Live Autoboot WOES! Expert help needed?
Question 
I just "make installed" the latest SVN of XBMC on my HTPC.
After the update I lost the autoboot function that worked when I installed XBMCLive.

I have searched all over the net for any insight on how XBMCLive had got autoboot to work. The only solution that I was able to get was to redo my HTPC with a full install and follow the tutorial on how to get autoboot to work with Ubuntu.

Im not really looking forward to another fresh install. Does anyone here have any ideas or how to's that may help guide me in gettign the auto boot function working again.

as of now I have to boot into termina,l then enter my user name and password. After that I have to startx and open xterm to run XBMC. This is quite a chore for the other users in my household to grasp. (6 year old daughter)

LINUX GODS please help.
HTPC SPECS:Samsung Series 850 58" PDP
[email protected] (full Screen)
XBMCLive : 10.00
HDD: 500GB WD Blue MOBO:P5n7a-VM
GPU: Geforce 9300/nforce 730i/PCI/SSE2
MEMORY: 2 GIG 1066MHZ DDR3 (single)
CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
newb2linux Wrote:I have searched all over the net for any insight on how XBMCLive had got autoboot to work.

No you didn't - else you would have found this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu#In...mc_helpers
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Does adding the xbmc kernel parameter make XBMC start up? I wouldn't think that would be the result. I think modifying rc.local is going to be required.
Not directly Smile, i was more referring to this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live

is not working. I was hoping to get a better understanding of how XBMCLive disk pulls it off. So that I can fix the issue Im having since the SVN update.
when I have XBMC-LIVE installed I can boot to live. This is great ! The only problem is the SVN that I updated is not loaded. What file makes the call to load live? Am I able to change that file to load up the SVN ?
This may be of interest:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=367...tcount=445
Thanks. I saw that issue resolved in an other forum post. Unfortunatly that didnt fix the problem. I was unable to install the SVN in a manner that I could have it auto boot so I decided to take the advice of my peers and install Ubuntu. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME.

I installed Ubuntu on my HTPC and I felt like I just broke my HTPC. The boot time and the Ubuntu loading screen along with the desktop really made my HTPC feel and look like a computer. This is what I wanted to stay away from.

Reading into setting up Ubuntu to auto boot and usplash, I tried to make it right. I changed the font size in Ubuntus GUI so I coould read it and the system locked up (CRASH). I was still able to use terminal so I kept things rolling. When I rebooted, Ubuntu locked up and I was unable to move the mouse or use the keyboard.

I hate having to redo this system over and over. I think Im going to figure out what could have went wrong with the compiling SVN not working on the XBMCLive distro.

If anyone has any insight that would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance
Ok, so this occurred when you compiled the latest SVN. Do you plan on always using the latest SVN? This would be ill advised unless you're OK with dealing with possible issues and crashes and other quirks with the SVN.

I update SVN typically every week or couple of weeks, but not every day. Doing it in this fashion is easy for me because I don't have to compile anything, I just update from the SVN PPA. It's address information is already in the apt/sources list, it just needs to be enabled. Additionally it doesn't require the installation of anything else like a compiler.

If you don't mind not actually compiling the binary, then I think the PPA would be a nice alternative.

If you really would like to compile yourself then try XBMC Live again. We can discuss the issue further once you're back to the same place you started. I'm familiar with the Ubuntu start up process and can help you walk through what happens, and maybe we can find where it breaks down.
Thank you Maxim!

I have just finised brining XBMCLive to the current jaunty SVN PPA. (fresh partion and format)

I don't mind dealing with the buggs that occur when having Bleeding edge SVN compiled. I kinda enjoy being there with the project.

Is there a way that I could have both the SVN installed and a current PPA, for testing purposes using XBMCLive ? That way if the SVN is messed up I can revert to the current PPA and I can watch my movie at the end of the day.
newb2linux Wrote:Is there a way that I could have both the SVN installed and a current PPA, for testing purposes using XBMCLive ? That way if the SVN is messed up I can revert to the current PPA and I can watch my movie at the end of the day.
I am certain there is a way to do this. The way that I would do it is the install the "stable" or the SVN PPA binary through apt, and then compile your own from SVN. I'm not wholly familiar with "making," but you should be able to make without install so that it won't overwrite the binary. Or you can use a switch when compiling to put the binary in a certain directory instead of the standard one. Then it would be best to run the bleeding edge binary as --portable so that any changes done to the DB (new features and such) don't have a negative effect on your current stable experience. So if you started with a stable version DB, and then ran the SVN, the SVN will upgrade your DB, but the stable version wouldn't be able to use it. They'd have to be kept separate in order to run them on the same machine. If you did your library and such in the stable version and then copied it over to the SVN that should work out fine.
Any ideas on how to manage this properly on a XBMCLive install? Im still a little unsure how the install work with compiling. would i have to make the XBMC.BIN cmpile ti XBMCSVN.bin ?
newb2linux Wrote:Any ideas on how to manage this properly on a XBMCLive install? Im still a little unsure how the install work with compiling. would i have to make the XBMC.BIN cmpile ti XBMCSVN.bin ?

I'm not sure, i've not compiled from source before, but i'm sure there is a way to make it without installing it. Once it's maked you can put it or name it anything you like.
Im worried that it would all be linked to the same user data. No ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] XBMC Live Autoboot WOES! Expert help needed?0