Newly created music files don't play anymore
It started yesterday. At first, I thought it was due to the path and filenames being too long, because in the first instance of the problem, they were very long. Then, I realized that every new music files had the same problem.

It looks like xbmc can't read the ID tag of these files because it doesn't show the tag informations but displays the filename with the extension. When I try to play a file, nothing happens, and the small play window doesn't appear at all. If I press repeatly on the play button, I end up getting a message about to many failed files. I tried turning on and off the different tag reading/library options.

I think the problem could be network related because these files play correctly on my main computer (I mean on XBMC), on which I do all the job of converting and stocking my music. I then play it on the second computer in my living room via a regular rj45 cable.

The problem happens with every format I tried: FLAC, OGG Vorbis, AAC and MP3. The files created before yesterday are fine. I used foobar to create all the files involved. I played with many options in foobar to see if I could change the result. I tried loading and resaving the files with MP3tag and similar problems. I reinstalled xbmc on the living room computer and the problem still happened.

I just did a test with dbconverter and the file plays correctly, which means the problem is with foobar. That still doesn't explain why these files plays correctly on my main computer, and it leaves me with a bundle of files unusable for the second computer.

I'll do a fresh reinstall with the latest version of foobar. Till then, any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Definitely windows file permissions problems. Move the files out of the folder and copy them back in.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

you could also try to unshare and then reshare the folders.
When posting about a problem please submit a debug log to give you the best chance at getting an answer. It's easy, painless, and helps provide necessary information.
Follow-up post...

I spent too many hours trying to figure out what the problem is, without getting the problematic files to play. I am sure of 2 things: the problem is about network authorizations, because the files don't play in Windows Media Player either. Second: only files created with foobar since a certain moment have the problem. Files created with EAC or dbamp play correctly. It looks like I'm going to thrash out a couple dozens albums and redo them with another software. I'm pretty p.o. cause I'm a foobar addict...

So, to make a story short, xbmc is not to blame with this, only Windows crappy "simple" network system. Is there a third party, preferably open source, alternative? Any suggestion welcomed.

Thanks and goodnight.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newly created music files don't play anymore0