XBMC suitable for a school wide media system?
Firstly I am not so good at deciphering product licences, so someone who is more familiar with the ins and outs of licences would the use of xbmc as a media sharing system for a school be against the licencing of this software?

Secondly from what I have read so far XBMC would be pretty good for this purpose. I was thinking of having several servers throughout the school that would house department specific resources. Can you guys as users of xbmc see this working well or are there limitations that I haven't forseen.

And finally I have been using media centre software for years (MCE, GBPVR, Media Portal etc) and thsi looks like a very mature product that may be easier to use than the above, if only the GF would let me buy and XBOX.

Thanks in advance

Colin
Hi there, and welcome to the forums!

There's no issue at all. XBMC is licensed under the GPLv2 or higher, and you as the end user are free to use it in any way you see fit.

The only time you have to bother about the license is if you're distributing the software (with or without modifications) to others. In this case, you simply must make sure that such a distribution is also made using the GPLv2 or higher. Use within a school environment would not be counted as distribution - the school in this case is the user.

I should think that using XBMC in such a system would be fine. Basically you'd just point your XBMC clients at a file server and it'd stream whatever videos/pictures etc. as required.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Colin......

You can find a used Xbox for little to nothing these days, get one and tell the GF one of your friends gave it to you (assuming you have friends.....I know how having a GF/Wife may end SOME of those associations....LOL J/K)

Or just do it and tell her "Tough......I work for my money and I'll spend it the way I see fit".........then sleep on the couch for the next month!
FTS...

you are a man of much wisdom, and the couch isn't that uncomfortable ....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC suitable for a school wide media system?0