• 5(current)
Multiple videos in a Matroska MKV container with Ordered Chapters / Segment Linking?
BLKMGK Wrote:Apparently the issue lies with ffmpeg supporting ordered chapters. Supposedly there's contention that this is a security issue or some other problem.

Now, the security concern about your player pulling up files in the background has been voiced a few times before, but really, how many of us use our media centers for running security-critical tasks? I also doubt that the MKV specification allows for any files to be executed this way - and checking if the chapter link leads to a valid path should not be a huge problem.
SoCol Wrote:Now, the security concern about your player pulling up files in the background has been voiced a few times before, but really, how many of us use our media centers for running security-critical tasks? I also doubt that the MKV specification allows for any files to be executed this way - and checking if the chapter link leads to a valid path should not be a huge problem.

See that confuses me - what files exactly? The MKV files I create using Xn1 are all single MKV files. I don't understand the issue here which is why I looked for the traffic - and didn't find any...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I think there's some confusion.

There are "ordered chapters", which is what you get when you use Xin1. One file, with chapters that create virtual timelines. You can have several editions of the same movie in the same file, and the splitter will seek around to seamlessly create the edition you chose to play. Portions of the movie which are common to all versions only need to be stored once, so you save a lot of space.

Then there are "linked segments", which are apparently what are being used in some Anime. When one file is loaded, one or more linked files will also be loaded. If episodes of a TV series always have the same opening and/or ending, it doesn't need to be duplicated in every episode. The splitter will grab it from a separate file, and seamlessly add it to the beginning/ending of each episode. The amount of space you save depends on the length of the opening/ending, and the number of episodes, but it can be significant.

You can also have a combination of the two. Ordered chapters that span across several files, playing the desired portion of each file, and seamlessly joining them together.

It's possible to accomplish the same result by using any of the three methods (and still save about the same amount of space, since all duplicated portions would only be stored once), but each method is just better suited for different scenarios.
Ah okay, that makes some sense! I personally just want "Multiple videos in a Matroska container with ordered chapters" :-)
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Don't be greedy, both are useful and likely not very complicated to implement if someone would just take the time to do it. :p
FFMpeg citing security concerns is just simply a crock of shit though, some dev/devs just has a stick up their ass and isn't budging.
I guarantee you that 99% of people using mkvs with ordered chapters are aware that the player will be accessing more than one file.
BLKMGK Wrote:Ah okay, that makes some sense! I personally just want "Multiple videos in a Matroska container with ordered chapters" :-)

Hey, we need unity on this matter! We want it all! Smile
hikaricore Wrote:I guarantee you that 99% of people using mkvs with ordered chapters are aware that the player will be accessing more than one file.
Well, even if some are not - what difference does it make in the end? As if player accessing a linked opening animation automatically hacks into the Golden Eye control computer or something. It really is just bollocks.
FYI, xin1generator v0.10 is out:

Direct Download

New feature: Add support for preserving the original chapters by merging them with the generated chapters.
Somewhat experimental because it involves some magic that hasn't been tested much.

Replaces the "hide chapters" option; it now hides any chapter that does not come from the original
chapters. This makes the output with "preserve chapters" unchecked the same as previously having
"hide chapters" checked.
Not sure if this was mentioned but a bad work around is to build or download a version of mplayer with ordered chapter support and set it up as an external player.
I think we're all painfully aware that the issue can be sidestepped by using an external player.
The problem here is that ffmpeg should either outright support this to begin with or xbmc should patch it to.
It just seems a little silly to support a format but only to a certain point and then say "eh fuck it". *shrug*
Anyway a little bit is here. Though theres more of it somewhere
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmp...43813.html

Edit:
The start http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmp...41680.html

Apparently the worst patches Michael has ever seen but he is a hard man to satisfy. Or at least was.

Oldest
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mpla...57546.html

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mpla...60236.html
Latest patches. There are quite a few out there, all not up to the standard to get them merged. Gona see if they apply.
Just for my edification... for those players where ordered chapters / linked segments work (e.g., special mplayer builds), is it the player that has the necessary functionality (mplayer), or the decoder (ffmpeg), or both?

Looking at my mplayer log it isn't so obvious which of the two is opening the linked segments.

If it's just ffmpeg, I might try building XBMC with its external-ffmpeg option, using a version of ffmpeg that supports linked segments... If this has been tried already and failed miserably, please let me know so I can be spared the headache.
I wasnt aware of a recent version of ffmpeg that did ordered chapters. Think i found a repo for one built in 2009. All I found were patches for ffmpeg. From what i could tell from the patches ffmpeg did most of the work though it still may require a small modification to the player
+1 for this feature because of "Directors Cuts" and "Extended Cuts" and "Unrated Version" in one mkv.

-100 and a smack to the back of the head to the person that thought ripping an entire season of a TV show to a single file was a good idea.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Yes please Big Grin
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple videos in a Matroska MKV container with Ordered Chapters / Segment Linking?4