image new drive from existing xbmc drive
I currently have a XBMC linux pc up and running with everything installed to a local hard disk. I plan on building a new pc in the near future. I would like to just image the current disk to the new one so that all my configuration (video, audio, etc) will be setup on the new drive for that pc. Any suggestions on the be best way to image this drive? I have windows pcs available. Can this be done over the network?
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
You didn't specify the OS and your sig contains both.

If it's linux, just cp -a / and reinstall grub to the boot partition.
If it's windows, use dd or clonezilla or gparted.

There are plenty of guides around the net for all of those.

TheUni
Im running xbmc in linux... The new box would also be linux as well. I'll search around. I saw something about using "dd" and being able to do this all from my windows pc. I would be nice if i could do it over the network, rather than having to open one of my other machines just to copy the data over.

Could i run an ubuntu live disk on the new pc im building (Box B) and over the network, transfer the data from box A to B?

something similar to this maybe... http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-copy...twork.html
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
ok, so last night i used partimage off the systemRescueCD to try and backup my hard drive to copy to the new machine. If i remember correctly this is how my hard drive is partitioned

Code:
sda1  - windows
sda2  (extended)
  sda5 - ubuntu - where xbmc is located
  sda7 - linux swap

I could not backup the sda2 partition, so I just did the sda5. My plan is to partition the new drive, then use partimage to restore the backup onto the new system. Once the backup restore is completed, because the new partition size will be larger than the backup, I imagine I will have to use gparted to expand the partitionHuh

Then i guess I will have to restore (or really create) a MBR on the new disk for the new pc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
image new drive from existing xbmc drive0