A proposal for solution to provide full music 'single' support in XBMC
jmarshall Wrote:Hmm, dunno - let me check...

EDIT: Not currently. Does it make sense to have this a separate content type anyway? Surely it's just a "Songs" content type, after all (it just lists songs).

i haven't given it much thought, but i guess content type 'songs' would do just fine...

in fact, is there a reason to create a 'Singles' node at all?
why not just list them under the Songs node?

either way, cheers for adding this feature. :-)
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Excellent stuff.

Can this be extended for other categories?

To carry on the Linkin Park example here are the items I have in my collection for that band. Would be great if I could get these into xbmc categorized and prioritized properly.

Linkin Park

Albums
2007 - Minutes To Midnight
2004 - Collision Course
2003 - Meteora
2000 - Hybrid Theory

Soundtracks (Genre tag of OST??)
2009 - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen [The Album]
2008 - Twilight
2007 - Transformers [The Album]
2003 - The Matrix Reloaded
2001 - Valentine
2000 - Dracula 2000 Soundtrack
2000 - Little Nicky

VA Albums (These would all have multiple artist names in the album)
2009 - The Hits of Summer 2009
2009 - Best Of Rock 2008
2003 - Big Shiny Tunes 8
2001 - Ozzfest 2001: The Second Millennium
2001 - Kerrang!: The Album

Singles (these would all have an empty album name)
2009 - New Divide
2008 - Leave Out All the Rest
2008 - Given Up
2007 - What I've Done

Live albums (these all have a date in the track title)
2008 - 2008-07-25 - Raleigh, NC, Walnut Creek Amphitheatre
2008 - 2008-02-13 - St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center
2008 - 2008-02-22 - Montreal, QC, Bell Centre
2008 - 2008-07-30 - Charlotte, NC, Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
2008 - 2008-01-27 - Manchester, England, MEN Arena

Remixes (These would all have brackets in the song title, not sure if this is unique though??)
2008 - Shadow of the Day (Abbott & Chambers Remix)
2002 - Reanimation

The other option would maybe be to have a flag that the user could set a category for music. So inside xbmc album view you could flag an album as an OST or remix single so it is grouped below the main albums.

Just some ideas....
@jmarshall

Thank you for this nice addition! However as always, I have a question Smile

I have some Singles ripped to only one file and there is a .cue file to identify the tracks in it.
How to define an "album" as a Single with cue sheets as there is no place to remove album name?

Is there a way to do this?
stop using ancient hacks?
spiff Wrote:stop using ancient hacks?

you mean ripping the whole disk to only one file?
Hey all. After having tried that feature I wanted to leave a bit of criticism:
Although I love the spirit behind this idea I find the actual feature or rather its current implantation rather useless. For instance I have applied this to my Blink 182 collection. Yes the initial view I get when I enter the Albums view looks a lot less cluttered due to less items. However entering singles view reveals a mess. Everything is mixed together since you can't really sort via release title (which you had to remove in order to activate the feature in the first place - a thing I am also at odds with - why should I delete tags in order to improve my musiclibrary that seems strongly contra-intuitive). So you really can't find anything. This gets even worse if you have multiple versions of the respective single. Finally the item "single" which leads to the singles has not really a fixed location (depending on the feature you use to sort it either gets sorted in aplhabetically - which forces you to look for it every time you enter another artist or if you sort by release year it gets even more arbitrary since the single item gets its release year assigned by one of the elements it contains).
All in all I believe it would be much more interesting if one could allow XBMC to use the releasetype tag which one receives by scrapers such as music brainz (which gotham claims to have integrated more profoundly anyways). In this way one could also have distinct views for compilations, EPs and stuff like that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A proposal for solution to provide full music 'single' support in XBMC0