A well deserved THANK YOU!!!
Thank you for This brilliant media center!!!

I've got a pretty decent setup, A JVC-DLA-RS2 front projecter throwing a 10' CIH image and a powerful multichannel sound system, setup in a dedicated room. I rarely use anything but my HTPC for playback anymore and my Blu-ray,DVD and CD players just collect dust since HDD space has gotten so cheap.

So every few months, for the last years, I start thinking that I should get a good frontend for my home cinema and every time it's the same story. I try out a few apps (some free, some not) and after spending countless hours (witch I don't have) I give up for various reasons. Some cant be meddled with at all and don't play the files I want, others are slow and on the other end some are so complex that although I could probably get them to work in the end, it's not worth the trouble.

So about a month ago I get the bug again and my wife roll's her eyes back, thinking "here he goes again". After about an hour on google I download XBMC + skins and go into the cinema, not too optimistic. To my surprise (and even more my wife's) I come out 3 hrs later with everything working like it should, the right covers showing for 98% of my movies and all english speaking episodes (fixed the 2% later manually). A stunning look (auriga), an intuitive interface and to top it all my ipod touch controlling it all with the xbmc app. And I even had a special profile that the kids can use with another remote.

Now, 1 month later XBMC has not had any problems, it worked out of the box and just keeps working!
In the last month at least 4 of my friends have seen it in action and decided to go the same route.

So congratulations on creating a brilliant piece of software that has a lot of options and possibillities for tweaking, but doesn't force you to use any of it, if you just want to have a fancy looking gui. An excellent balance between power and user-friendlyness.
thanks for telling your story. glad you enjoy our baby Smile
I love it when a plan comes together. Smile
Agreed. In fact, with a projector, you have, I'm guessing, got some pics of your setup. Feel free to post those.
all my pics are pretty old, so maybe I should take a few new ones running XBMC
nice read

sounds a little like a story i could tell
You guys should write up a detailed how-to for beginners switching from some other program to XBMC and include pictures of your process and set-up. Who knows, maybe one day there will be a contest or something for this sort of thing. Wink

Even if not, it's always nice to share good experiences and help others out. Nod
hrotti Wrote:So every few months, for the last years, I start thinking that I should get a good frontend for my home cinema and every time it's the same story. I try out a few apps (some free, some not) and after spending countless hours (witch I don't have) I give up for various reasons. Some cant be meddled with at all and don't play the files I want, others are slow and on the other end some are so complex that although I could probably get them to work in the end, it's not worth the trouble.

hrotti!

We just gotta be brothers from different mothers!! Big Grin

Double dittos on your story of woe... I'd say been there, done that, if I didn't hate the saying so much... Ooops! Anyway, by the sounds of it you stumbled on XBMC just a month or so before I rediscovered this phoenix of a project.

Last I remember XBMC it was pretty much an XBOX only thing and it required me to hardware hack my 1st gen XBOX with a mod chip and then find a way to get the files over to the XBOX via a USB memory stick but all the tools were Windows only yadda, yadda, yadda... Yea it must of been about 20 or so year ago by now... lol

Okay I kid, not 20 years ago... but by the ENORMOUS changes I see here it could have very well been that long! So another 'atta-boy' to the developers, contributers, graphic artists and idea men, that have transformed XBMC into the gem that it is today!

I've got near 1000 movies to wrangle into it now. Most still on DVD since the daunting task for me was always figuring out how to get cover art for my collection and while the Mac had a fairly good number of DVD rippers, cover art grabbing wasn't part of any of their feature sets nor was it included in any of the front ends I did try in the past...

Gratuitous movie quote: "XBMC, you had me at Cover Art! Big Grin"

Aka: Scrapper is a freakin work of art!

Anyway hats off to you all! Now let me get back to ripping my collection!

Dave
It's funny really, I never really thought about HTPCs or anything back then. It was all about the exciting thing of modding my xbox (soft mod). When I found XBMC I was delighted I could play my divx stuff etc on the tv. So great of a thing it was infact, I got my parents one for the living room heh.

All this time later.... I use XBMC on my HTPC. Funny that eh? Great bit of software. shame boxee is is being a glory hog at the mo.... *whistles*
Boxee is the main sponsor of XBMC.

http://xbmc.org/
As goes XBMC, so goes Boxee. Or maybe the reverse of that. Either way, both groups share code back and forth all the time, and, as joebrady pointed out, Boxee money is a major contributor to keeping XBMC going as amazingly as it is.

Of course, with that said, it's always nice to see support.

Also, DaveGee, you are also welcome to post pics. The more the merrier.
In fact, feel free to check out and submit with this page.

http://xbmc.org/hof/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A well deserved THANK YOU!!!0