Pc - Xbox - Apple TV which is best for xbmc
Question 
Hello i currently use my Pc in the living room with a 2TB usb hardrive attached to store my films.

I was wondering what is the best way to do it? as my girlfriend finds it a little hard to use and quite slow to turn on.

Thanks Matt
xbox = to slow for HD 720 and 1080 scene releases
mac = easy not al lot to tweak, bit more expensive
pc = bit more work to build and maintain but more to tweak
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
What is the resolution and codec of your source files?
Well my films are mainly direct DVD rips but that was gunna be my next question whats best to use with out too much loss of quality? Smile

Matt
best is a linux based HTPC because VDPAU allows for video acceleration as long as you have a supported video card. A decent video card will allow you to play 1080p without issue.

However, if you don't know anything about linux, there is a learning curve. There are plenty of guides and helpful people available on these forums though.

noumenon
noumenon Wrote:best is a linux based HTPC because VDPAU allows for video acceleration as long as you have a supported video card. A decent video card will allow you to play 1080p without issue.

However, if you don't know anything about linux, there is a learning curve. There are plenty of guides and helpful people available on these forums though.

noumenon

I guess i should mention costs lol as the pc option is working at th moment so spending hundeds on a new build might be out he question lol Smile Whats the avrage cost of a linux option?

Think apple tv ight be winning at the momen Smile

Matt
If your collection is DVD based an Xbox will be the one box solution... it outputs HD resolutions, upscales, has an "out of the box" solution for remote control, contecting to a TV and AV reciver.... the last one I bought off ebay was £5!
Yeah, if your primary interest right now is only dvd based, xbox or appletv should work fine, and both, as I understand it, work pretty much out of the box.
Even if you find the XBOX not fitting your needs after a while you won't have wasted any money or time. You can get one almost for free, once modded, installed and configured it will just work....forever.... It's the option that will give you (way) most bang for buck/effort.
If you do find it not fitting your needs, or your needs change...give the xbox to a friend or family. I've given one to about all my family members and especially for the 'older' people their complete perspective on digital media and the internet has drastically changed. They instantly aged back ten years and felt as if they were part of the rest of the world again. That's a reward you can't express in money (at least not in the amount of money and effort spent on the xbox Smile).

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Hmm so there is not much differance between the xbox and a Apple TV?

For the xbox would i need a Nas drive? as my 2TB drive is usb at the moment

Im sure i have a old xbox under the bed at the moment as i never got rid of it when i got the 360 Smile
Those dang Xbox's always creeping in like cockroaches when some one asks this question. Big Grin
lol yeahLaugh i just found it and think ill be looking in to moding it today and get the stuff i need Smile then it can have a hapy life been used again Smile

still think i might get a aqpple for the living room though Confused
Geesss its criminal the fact that you have a un-modded xbox laying around! Big Grin

Cheap/green solution - saves that xbox gracing a skip! and you will always use it... somewhere.
Geeba Wrote:Geesss its criminal the fact that you have a un-modded xbox laying around! Big Grin

Cheap/green solution - saves that xbox gracing a skip! and you will always use it... somewhere.

lol it still gets used every now and then as a back up DVD player lol Just need to find out how to mod the thing then let it have its rightful place under the TV again lol Laugh
This guide is great....

http://www.productwiki.com/microsoft-xbo...nutes.html

Xbox to XBMC in 30 minutes! - I can do em in 5 minutes! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pc - Xbox - Apple TV which is best for xbmc0