Media Network
Hello XBMC Community,

First things first: Thanks to all the developers out there (XBMC,Skin scripts etc etc). I really enjoy using XBMC.

Since I'm not a developer, scripter or graphics designer it's hard for me to give back to the xbmc community. So I decided to try and document my set-up of it. Maybe it will help some of you out there or spark an idea.

Background:
In about 2 months from now I will be moving to a brand new appartment. Me and my girlfriend really want to do it richt so there's a lot of new stuff going in it. Since I'm in IT my home computer network needs to be done just richt. To name a few requirements:
  • I want to be able to access all my from anywhere
    • Bedroom
    • Livingroom
    • Laptop
    • externally
  • I want a stable system
  • I dont want to move files around to access them (movie on disk > media center)
Current design:
I've setup basicly the following design:
  • One server
  • one MediaCenter pc
    • Ubuntu Server, modified with several howto's to run XBMC
    • Asrock ION 330 White
    • DvD
  • Second MediaCenter pc (future)
    • Ubuntu Server, modified with several howto's to run XBMC
    • Asrock ION 330 White
    • Blu-Ray
  • GB Network

Proxmox VE:
Proxmox VE is a virtual environment comparable in function to a vmware ESX host. I can create virtual machines on it with specific functions.
Currently it hosts 3 virtual machines:
  • Windows XP Professional (workstation)
    • 768 mb ram
    • 10 GB virtual harddrive
  • Ubuntu Server (storage server)
    • 512 mb ram
    • 10gb virtual harddisk
    • 3 x 1 tb software raid 5
    • Samba filesharing
    • nfs filesharing
    • Gallery3 G3 image gallery
    • sabnzbd
    • javaxplorer
  • Ubuntu server (remote loggin)
    • Adito/OpenVPN
    • 2 gb virtual harddisk
    • 368 mb ram
Most importantly to my internal network is my storage server. My media center mounts the storage on it as nfs and it's indexed into my XBMC system.

I will update this post later with more details. It's all working pretty great for now and even my non tech girlfriend loves the system.

suggestions are welkom!
why not just use a windows xp pc as the media server? it really does not have to be that complicated to do such a simple thing like you want.

For me, I have 1 media pc with everything in it, hard drives with movies tv etc. (also games hehe) and for others in the house, the xboxes can access it vis smb. Simples yes? :-P
Well, Generally don't use windows at home at all. The one Windows XP vm is more "because it possible" then anything else. I think it's going to be deleted sometime soon.I find installing Ubuntu easier then installing Windows. I chose nfs because it has less overhead then SMB.
I also wanted very small media centers. mini-itx generally can't hold more than 1 drive.
I also wanted a server to which I can logon safely from a remote location.

I am going to use the hardrive inside the mediacenters to backup my personal files and photos.
Oh, I forgot, I also going to be streaming dvb from my server to the media centers when I move to my new place.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Network0