First Asus nettop with ION platform - Could this be the perfect selection for XBMC?
This is the first Asus Nettop to use the Ion (GeForce 9400M) platform. The specifications seem very complete to me.

Asus EeeBox PC EB1012
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wH1q2VTqyLXaCw1f

There's CPU fan only and has dual CPU core. Optionally remote controller. Only question to me will be power consumption in sleep mode; if it's less than 2W then off I gooooooo....

What do you think?

Looking good! Can't wait to see some reviews on this.
If they have solved the heat problem then it looks like a great contender.

I know my Acer Aspire Revo with the N230 single core atom & same ION GPU runs really hot - 66 C CPU, 73 C GPU - when under load and the fan ramps up to 3500 rpm.

I'd imagine the N330 version, badged as Acer's Gateway subsidiary, would be much the same if not hotter as it's only the CPU that's changed.

The ION mini-itx based solutions all seem to need fans - the Aleutia H1 `Hotel` PC, N230 version, is the only one I know of that is entirely passively cooled, but there have been reports of nasty instability when the load increases and the heat starts pumping. The N330 dual core edition is same design but has a fan.

Given that the Acer runs so hot, even with fan, in what looks to be a very similar board/case design I'd really like to see some reviews that say the Asus doesn't melt and/or lock up when under load Smile
right, cooling might the issue...
Looks this guy has the only hands-on experience with the product on the whole internetBlush and he reports some 73C during operation.
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=634233
How exactly is this better than an Asrock 330 Ion except for the WLAN?
Question 
Hrmmm. Huh

@Sircube: Where did you get your info that this was a fanless machine ?

That detail isn't mentioned anywhere on the Asus site, and a good old googling doesn't find anywhere else that mentions it either.

In fact the only source that seems to have concrete info is the guy you mention from eeeuser.com forum, and if you read his post carefully you'll see :-

Code:
Current readings:
CPU Usage: 35%
[b][size=medium][color=red]Fan1:2836 RPM[/color][/size][/b]
Fan2: 0 RPM
Fan3: 0 RPM
Fan4: 0 RPM
Fan5: 0 RPM

GPU: 71C
Temp1: 70C
Temp2: 54C
Temp3: -128C
Core 0: 72C
Core 1: 75C
Core 2: 72C
Core 3: 75C

If it *does* have a fan then the only real difference between this and the Gateway variant of the Revo is that it has SPDIF out digital audio, instead of only via HDMI.
no dvd drive : /
This sounds quite silent...

"No, I can't measure it. But I can tell you, it is very quiet. I can't hear a thing when I am few inches away the machine. There is only one CPU fan running at 2800RPM."
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?p...30#p634830
how much does it cost? and where to buy?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First Asus nettop with ION platform - Could this be the perfect selection for XBMC?0