question about movies split into several vobs
Hi,

First off apologies but I deliberately haven't posted a bug log with this just yet because I want to make sure I'm not being a complete noob first.

I have a problem when trying to play movies that are split into 1gb chunks- I've followed the wiki naming convention- can I just check firstly that XBMC can actually play [b]vob files that are split[/b]?

Because I know they can't be stacked is that right?

So what do people genrally do?

thanks
Just to add- what I mean is- I've been using VOB files up until now- does this mean I can;'t use this format any more if my movies are split?

thanks again
just an extra bit of info- they seem to play fine in the videos menu by using the context menu play- just not when added to library.

I know I haven't submitted a bug- I will- just looking to see if it's a simple mistake I've made

thanks
Xbmc will play your vob files ok and as far as i am aware it will stack them assuming you have named them ok. But why don't you just rip all your films etc as one large .vob it makes life a lot easierBig Grin
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
Lightbulb 
In this forum a few months ago I got the following hint for linux users:
Code:
# reads out all VOB-Files (from the first to the last - make sure of the naming) and merge it to one big file
cat vobname.vob* >> movie.vob

This takes a little while but for me it works!
And now I don't make the VOB mistake again -> i rip to ISO.

Cheers,
David
I agree with Paul, why not rip into one .vob file?
Hi guys,

I used to rip to one vob but I started using DVD fab and it splits them- I think there's a way to persuade it to do it as one vob file but it takes a lot longer and my PC sounds like it's about to take off.

I can easily try this I've just got a few movies that are split and I was hoping to not rip them again.

Thanks for the replies Smile I thought I had named them correctly; film.part1.vob etc

maybe I've got the name wrong
Not exactly the answer to your question, but I use Handbrake.

It does very well at putting multiple VOB's into their appropriate titles, and then I transcode to XVID or h.264, depending on whether I want multiple audio tracks.

Add ccextractor to generate .srt files from the closed-captioning data, and it's pretty painless to transfer the average DVD to XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
question about movies split into several vobs0