• 2(current)
Anyone have a Emprex 3009URF MCE RC?
kiboy6 Wrote:Oops...sorry for threadjacking then...but while I'm here, presumably with eventghost this remote would be perfect for xbmc right? Laugh

No problem - i guess it will work perfectly if you got eventghost on Windows.
au41011 Wrote:Couldn't recommend it enough !! For 15 quid......does all the basic functions it should, does everything it says on the tin, works a treat with XBMC Live out of the box .....buttons are satisfying to use, well made, and it doesn't require line of sight as uses radio rather than IR....

Not perfect, but then if you want programmable buttons, macros, and every single button to work, spend £60.......or don't set up your own xbmc system !Laugh

Guess it's a matter of expectations - I buy a remote to have most functions working (if not all). On mine about 40% of the buttons actually do something which (in my world) is far from perfect ... or even satisfying
I have this remote and have been messing around with different solutions for days trying to get the few basic buttons that don't work to function correctly. Virtually everything on it seems to be interpreted as keyboard keypresses, in fact I uninstalled LIRC and it worked exactly the same. It appears adding the functions to keymap.xml doesn't work unless XBMC "understands" the key and fires an onkey event for it, the ones that just show up as SDL events don't seem to be mappable.

Anyway, the good news is I've discovered a hack to get these keys working as they should, simply by remapping them to different keyboard keys. Try adding the following to your X startup to run before XBMC (in my case I added them to the .xsessionrc file in my home directory before "exec xbmc --standalone", but exactly what file will depend on your distribution/version): -

xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 127 = space"
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 166 = Escape"
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 175 = c"
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 150 = s"

What this does is remaps the pause button on the Emprex to space, the back button to escape, the power button to S and the record button to C (open context menu). If you have the XBMC keyboard controls set up as the defaults, these should then work as the keys they've been remapped to, without any changes to XBMC itself. You could easily remap them as something else if you'd prefer them to have other functions.

On my remote at least most of the other basic keys worked as they should in XBMC without any changes. The coloured buttons and buttons with little pictures on (RECTV, GUIDE etc.) don't seem to generate keyboard events, so unfortunately I wasn't able to get those working (it may be possible in another way, I'm not sure).

Not sure if there are different versions of this remote around or if they all use the same keycodes, but this worked for me at least, hopefully others might have some success with it.
keymap.xml needs the button to be mapped in lircmap.xml which means that it has to work in lirc. test with irw.
vorwrath: Will try your way.

gsgleason: I tried but can't get it to work with IRW
vorwrath Wrote:I have this remote and have been messing around with different solutions for days trying to get the few basic buttons that don't work to function correctly. Virtually everything on it seems to be interpreted as keyboard keypresses, in fact I uninstalled LIRC and it worked exactly the same. It appears adding the functions to keymap.xml doesn't work unless XBMC "understands" the key and fires an onkey event for it, the ones that just show up as SDL events don't seem to be mappable.

Anyway, the good news is I've discovered a hack to get these keys working as they should, simply by remapping them to different keyboard keys. Try adding the following to your X startup to run before XBMC (in my case I added them to the .xsessionrc file in my home directory before "exec xbmc --standalone", but exactly what file will depend on your distribution/version): -

What this does is remaps the pause button on the Emprex to space

How did you find the keycodes?
They appear in xbmc.log when the buttons are pressed.
Anyone had any luck with this? maybe a simple guide for someone simple like me Tongue

The problem im having is -

I have now worked out what the codes are for the buttons but cant seem to get them to work using vorwrath's method of adding them to .xsession.

Is that the wrong file to add them to ?

--- Solved ---

After playing around with it i just created a file called .xsessionrc and stuck vorwrath's code in there n it worked great.

Thanks alot Smile
vorwrath Wrote:They appear in xbmc.log when the buttons are pressed.

Genius dude - all wanted keys now work a treat.
Before I found your fix I was using;
<key id='61606'>PreviousMenu</key>
to capture the back button - your solution is much better Smile
I've tried following the instructions in vorwrath's post but it doesn't seem to have made any difference, the back button still doesn't work.

I am a complete linux noob so it may be that I've done something wrong, here's what I did, I created a .xsessionrc file in my home directory and copied and pasted the code from vorwrath's post into it and saved it.

Do I need to do something else?

I'm running Ubuntu Karmic Koala by the way and have added xbmc to the startup applications so it runs once Ubuntu has booted.
Anybody got any ideas on this, could really do with getting the back button working in order to make the remote wife friendly Wink
vorwrath Wrote:I have this remote and have been messing around with different solutions for days trying to get the few basic buttons that don't work to function correctly. Virtually everything on it seems to be interpreted as keyboard keypresses, in fact I uninstalled LIRC and it worked exactly the same. It appears adding the functions to keymap.xml doesn't work unless XBMC "understands" the key and fires an onkey event for it, the ones that just show up as SDL events don't seem to be mappable.

xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 175 = c"
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 150 = s"

What this does is remaps the pause button on the Emprex to space, the back button to escape, the power button to S and the record button to C (open context menu). If you have the XBMC keyboard controls set up as the defaults, these should then work as the keys they've been remapped to, without any changes to XBMC itself. You could easily remap them as something else if you'd prefer them to have other functions.

On my remote at least most of the other basic keys worked as they should in XBMC without any changes. The coloured buttons and buttons with little pictures on (RECTV, GUIDE etc.) don't seem to generate keyboard events, so unfortunately I wasn't able to get those working (it may be possible in another way, I'm not sure).

Not sure if there are different versions of this remote around or if they all use the same keycodes, but this worked for me at least, hopefully others might have some success with it.

this solution is great however i would really like to get all the buttons working like i have in my intel box.....

does anyone have anymore of the codes of the buttons ?
t0rm3nt Wrote:Anyone had any luck with this? maybe a simple guide for someone simple like me Tongue

The problem im having is -

I have now worked out what the codes are for the buttons but cant seem to get them to work using vorwrath's method of adding them to .xsession.

Is that the wrong file to add them to ?

--- Solved ---

After playing around with it i just created a file called .xsessionrc and stuck vorwrath's code in there n it worked great.

Thanks alot Smile

Worked for me as well, thanks a ton!

Next mission: To figure out a way to make the "Music", "Pictures", "Video" and "Radio" buttons work...

And since I'm running XBMC Live in a Windows-free environment, I should make the big green Windows Logo button play Weird Al's "Windows 95"...
if you find out please let me know Sad
not found any more yet but

xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 166 = BackSpace"

works better than

Smile
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone have a Emprex 3009URF MCE RC?0