• 4(current)
Anyone have a Emprex 3009URF MCE RC?
@crispy
sorry crispy but i wasn't able to follow everything in your guide. most of it is fairly straightfoward, but the 'grub' update stuff is where i get a little lost.
as a result, I felt uncomfortable to try your patch.

Instead, I have kept to the .xsessionrc patch instead.
Code:
# Back button
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 166 = BackSpace"
# Pause button
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 127 = Space"
# Power button
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 150 = s"
# I Button, map to context menu
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 138 = c"

which works really well.
thanks everyone for the advice.

Yes the red power button on the remote does resume the PC from suspend PC without any hacks, just tested. I was 85% sure it did the shutdown command (remapped in system menu to suspend) before these hacks. Will check by booting an un-touched live build from the flash pen. If this fails to work then I will try the assign command to an unused key and map to the remote's "s" button.
@ shade

Be brave, just install the packages that bit can't hurt.

The grub stuff is just the boot menu bit which can cause issue.

To be honest I expect your grub2 boot menu will just auto add the menu option for the new kernel and you won't have to do anything else.

Those 3 extra buttons are useful.
@crispy
ok then, I'll run a backup of my xbmc client pc to my home server, then ill install the patches and go from there.
I'll let you know how it goes.

worst comes to worst, I'll just restore the backup.
I got a little bored and after a reinstall of the latest Beta of XBMC, i wondered if I could get those other buttons on the remote working like the 4 colour buttons on the bottom of the remote and the other media buttons.

Buttons I would like to get working which currently aren't;
red
green
yellow
blue
rectv
guide
livetv
dvdmenu
music
pictures
video
radio
'windows' button

I found out that the remote does indeed produce some sort of output to /dev/hidraw4 upon keypress

This is what happens when i press red, green, yellow and blue on the remote
Code:
cat /dev/hidraw4;
[!!\!!]!!^!!

Looks like
[ = red
\ = green
] = yellow
^ = blue

Surely there is a way to listen to hidraw4 to convert its output to a keyboard key press? I ask as this is way over my head and I couldn't find anything like it with a Google search.

I could just be naive btw to think this could be so simple Smile
@crispy 2
I tried installing the packages, unfortunately, they did not work. I did encounter several errors along the way though, which is probably why it didn't.
I used a root login with putty to install the headers first, and then the image after - that's when the first problem propped up. Putty would show a warning message, to which it wanted to confirm by "put <OK>". At that point, I could no longer do anything at all in putty.
After reloading, I sudo updated and it did recognise that the image was there, to which i told it to keep it there.
I then did the sudo aptitude hold command, which although did seem to do *something* it also encountered errors, suggesting i configure manually.
This is by memory of what i did a while ago, so I can't be specific, but I can get details by doing it again if you'd like them. The good thing though is no harm actually came to the system in any way... I just wish I knew more about linux so I could figure more of it out.

@ KeRbDoG
If those buttons are giving [ / ] ^ as keystrokes, then surely we can just re-map the keyboard.xml for these characters to have actual functions? It may be worth a try.
I'm actually r-e-a-l-l-y happy with this remote. I have everything working the way i want it to be with just the few buttons we can get to work with the simple .session patch. The ONLY thing I'd like to get working one of the buttons to toggle between menus and videos. Everything else I don't particularly care about as it's not essential. Of course, if there is a chance for more buttons, I'm not exactly going to skip on trying it.
ShadeBlack Wrote:@ KeRbDoG
If those buttons are giving [ / ] ^ as keystrokes, then surely we can just re-map the keyboard.xml for these characters to have actual functions? It may be worth a try.

They aren't keystokes afaik, but, always worth a try
Code:
root@XBMC-Ubuntu:/home/xbmc# cat /dev/hidraw1
[\]^

Looks like
[ = red
\ = green
] = yellow
^ = blue
the green 'windows' button seems to act like <cr>

Someone has to know how we can hack/MacGyver this Big Grin
so i just decided to remap the "clear" button on the emprex remote so instead of acting as the escape button would on a keyboard, i can use it to toggle fullscreen.

If anyone else wants to do the same (as it is very useful), here's how:
Root login to WinSCP
find, open and edit:
/usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml

Now enter the clear button's ID and it's function.
Code:
<key id='61467'>FullScreen</key>
you can put this line anywhere in-between the <keyboard> mark-up.

Now restart your machine and the clear button will now function as the toggle fullscreen.

hope this helps others with the remote.
nice one Smile

Its a shame we can't get music, pictures, video and radio buttons working.
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
Quick recap for those who:
  • Have the Emprex remote,
  • Didn't read the entire thread; &
  • Want it working.

1) ftp with root login

2) navigate to: /home/xbmc/

3) Create .xsessionrc

4) edit the file and paste the following:

Code:
# Back button
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 166 = BackSpace"

# Pause button
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 127 = Space"

# Power button
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 150 = s"

# I Button, map to context menu
xmodmap -display :0 -e "keycode 138 = c"

5) If that doesn't work put a duplicate in: /home/

6) Remap the "clear" button by editing the keyboard.xml, found in: /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/

7) Enter: " <key id='61467'>FullScreen</key> " In between the <keyboard> tags.

8) Restart XBMC and enjoy!
danz0l Wrote:nice one Smile

Its a shame we can't get music, pictures, video and radio buttons working.

I have all the buttons working on mine (did post on a thread about how i did it but it was lost by the server crash sometime ago)

Basically you have to build a custom kernel for some of the buttons

As I can't find my notes (which weren't very good anyway!), when Dharma final is released I'll have to go thru the whole process again I guess, so will try and document it properly and post it
Sounds great tony Smile
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
danz0l Wrote:Sounds great tony Smile

Since I've now installed Dharma Beta 2, and thereby broken my remote from working, I'm having a go at getting it all working again and documenting as I go.

Been compiling the 1st attempt for an hour now, can't remember how long it takes though!
nice one mate. Looking forward to seeing how you get on
-= My Media Centre =-
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone have a Emprex 3009URF MCE RC?0