DVD playback does not start instantly
Hello,

I see issues that DVD playback (ISO or native VIDEO_TS folders) in a lot of situations does not start instatntly (click/play)... Very often (8 times from 10) it takres 30-40 and more seconds between click and actual play ...
The same isses I see not only when I start playback of DVD but if I select a certain chapter from DVD menu... it takes too long befor the actual playback will take place. MKV playback does not seems to have this issue.

Please advice
K.
Hello,

Does not anybody else have the same issue? it is really hard to beleive since I observe the same issue in stable and SVN/ALpha releases.
I run xbmc on ASrock 330 . The play back movies across LAN connection. from the filer.Can somebody advice where to dig for the issue?

Thanks
K.

kingaru Wrote:Hello,

I see issues that DVD playback (ISO or native VIDEO_TS folders) in a lot of situations does not start instatntly (click/play)... Very often (8 times from 10) it takres 30-40 and more seconds between click and actual play ...
The same isses I see not only when I start playback of DVD but if I select a certain chapter from DVD menu... it takes too long befor the actual playback will take place. MKV playback does not seems to have this issue.

Please advice
K.
Debug log needed.

A few questions:

1. Are your DVD's encrypted?
2. Are they slow to play first time, and then play as normal on subsequent tries?
Thanks for the feedback.
I'll copy log file and will try to send you.
The DVD' content that I'm trying to play is not encrypted. Usually if I play DVD then stop and resume after then playback will continue instantly without delays. Another thing that I ahve noticed is that when this sort of "slow start" takes place the whole xbmc kind of hangs ... it does not react on remote control you can not stop play that you have started untill you get the actual movie image on the screen.

Regards
K.

prae5 Wrote:Debug log needed.

A few questions:

1. Are your DVD's encrypted?
2. Are they slow to play first time, and then play as normal on subsequent tries?
Hi

Looks like I have the same problem. In october I made clean instal of Ubuntu 9.04 and XBMC from svn PPA (due to prbms with Lirc not XBMC). And found that appeared problem with start of playing of DVD menu (20-30 sec). Then movie plays good. Before installation I had the same Ubuntu 9.04, but some old XBMC build as I don't upgrade it often.

Best regards, Dmitry
Same problem here.

I installed ubuntu 9.10 with XBMC.
- DVD's start very slowly or some times don't start at all
- Sometimes they come to the menu and then crash

I tried things to change in the menu but nothing changed.

Software:
Ubuntu 9.10
XBMC 9.04

Hardware:
ION330
Gigabit network
NAS DNS 323
MCE REMOTE
Same problem here (a year later).

- Open VIDEO_TS folder
- Select ***.IFO file
- Wait an eternity (probably 30-60 seconds)
- plays normally

Couple other issues
- This happens every time I start that movie (even if I've played that movie before).
- When I pause DVD video and resume, there is a couple seconds lag.

The sub-par support for DVD playback is frustrating. My CinemaTube plays DVD rips great. I think it's because everyone compresses their DVDs, so there is little interest in DVD rips.

The pause doesn't bother me too much (though it's going to get wife disapproval, I'm sure). What annoys me is why it can't detect the DVD folder and automatically play the video.

-----
Dharma 10.0
Foxconn NT-330i (Ion 330)
HDMI out
DNS-323 SMB server
I'm having this same problem as well. I've had it across multiple installs from 9.11 to 10.0. Same thing

Initial DVD launch takes anywhere from instant to 3minutes
Once launched the resume works great
Does not happen with Xbox versions of XBMC and I can launch ISO with orther media streamers instantly

M
I have been playing encrypted DVD ISOs for the past week and no problem whatsoever - no difference in loading times with a regular container (99% Matroska here).
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
OK I got it working. Big thanks to crocobar.

The Path must be in ALL caps. My share was \\Movies and it didn't work. Made a new share \\MOVIE and tossed 8 movies in there and they all start perfect (at most 5 second wait)

M

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD playback does not start instantly0