Macbook pro 17" 2.8ghz with video tearing
Hi,

I installed the latest 9.11 alpha release on my macbook pro 17" 2.8ghz machine running Snow Leopard (with the latest 10.6.2 update).

There are two graphicscards in the macbook, a 9400M and a 9600M. I was watching Wolverine last night and there was severe stuttering at the lake scene when they fly to the site where Logan gets the adamantium injected.

I have vsync always enabled, sync-to-display disabled.

The stuttering happens with both graphics cards and I tried the render mode on auto/advanced shaders and basic shaders, but the framecount still drops from 24 to around 13-16 during that scene.

When I turn the debugging on I see the framecount as above and the statistics:
CPU0: 0.0% CPU1: 0.0% CPU-XBMC:120-130%

So are the two processors not doing anything or something? Are there any settings that I could try to make it work better? I thought the system should be good enough to run any 1080p material.

Thanks!
You say tearing. Is it actually tearing, or is it just juddering (low frame rate in some scenes)?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Sorry, I meant juddering indeed. The noticeably low frame rate in some scenes.

Feel free to change that in the topic title, since I can't do that myself. Thank you!
Just tried it with VLC: some frame loss, but less than XBMC. Also tried Plex which had only one noticably framedrop during that scene.

Any tips?
numix Wrote:Just tried it with VLC: some frame loss, but less than XBMC. Also tried Plex which had only one noticably framedrop during that scene.

Any tips?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61323
I tried both <osx_gl_fullscreen>true</osx_gl_fullscreen> and <osx_gl_fullscreen>false</osx_gl_fullscreen>

Didn't make any difference. Same framedrop to 16,17 or 20 frames.
numix Wrote:I tried both <osx_gl_fullscreen>true</osx_gl_fullscreen> and <osx_gl_fullscreen>false</osx_gl_fullscreen>

Didn't make any difference. Same framedrop to 16,17 or 20 frames.

going to need to see some logs (which should have been posted to a pastebin site in the first place Smile

Just to make sure, you did restart xbmc after changing osx_gl_fullscreen ?
I did restart it yeah. Although the other thread said to disable fakefullscreen, but then the post said <osx_gl_fullscreen>true</osx_gl_fullscreen> . I'm guessing setting that one to false would have fixed it, right?

Here is the log
Thanks for your help!
numix Wrote:I did restart it yeah. Although the other thread said to disable fakefullscreen, but then the post said <osx_gl_fullscreen>true</osx_gl_fullscreen> . I'm guessing setting that one to false would have fixed it, right?

Here is the log
Thanks for your help!

fakefullscreen = ! osx_gl_fullscreen Smile the two should be set (one is true, the other false)
Ah, ok.

I tried it with both. Best settings were:
fakefullscreen on false
osx_gl_fullscreen on true

But the problem still remains.

New log

I tried Ice Age 3 and that one ran without any problems, but I think that one is less hard to decode. I think I might try Transformers: Revenge tonight.
numix Wrote:Ah, ok.

I tried it with both. Best settings were:
fakefullscreen on false
osx_gl_fullscreen on true

But the problem still remains.

New log

I tried Ice Age 3 and that one ran without any problems, but I think that one is less hard to decode. I think I might try Transformers: Revenge tonight.

A macbook pro 17" 2.8ghz should be able to handle what was in your log so either something is configured wrong or it's some 10.6 thing. A new 9.11.a2 release is a few days away. there were some 10.6 changes that help.
Thank you for confirming what I had suspected. "pats his macbook pro". I'll wait for the new release. Thanks!
Ok, I watched Transformers 2 with the Camelot alpha 1 release. No framedrops whatsoever.

Downloaded the Camelot alpha 2 release today and tried the Wolverine scene again. Same frame drops. (with the 9400M enabled)

Log

Maybe it's just the video file?
numix Wrote:Ok, I watched Transformers 2 with the Camelot alpha 1 release. No framedrops whatsoever.

Downloaded the Camelot alpha 2 release today and tried the Wolverine scene again. Same frame drops. (with the 9400M enabled)

Log

Maybe it's just the video file?

Am at a loss to explain this, I see the framedrops in Wolverine in the xbmc.log but not why. Is that scene the only part of Wolverine that framedrops? Do any other similar sized/encoded video show similar issues ?

I'd like to see the MediaInfo outout for Wolverine to see how it has encoded.
Here is the mediainfo

There were some other scenes in the movie that had similar issues, but it was the most noticeable in this scene, which is why I chose it to use for testing.

The Iceage and Transformers Revenge movies were both 1080p mkv movies.
Here are their mediainfo files:
Iceage
Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen

Thank you for all the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Macbook pro 17" 2.8ghz with video tearing0