RE-Compiling XBMC
hi,
i've been working with the latest code from cvs (as of about a week ago), and i've been able to build and deploy to my xbox with good success. i've been working on some modifications, and i've also successfully got some of them working on my xbox.

however, i am having a problem that is driving me nuts. i am having trouble consistently re-building and re-deploying to my xbox. after a number of iterations of changing something and then not seeing the behavior i expected when i re-deployed, i decided to try a simple test - change a particular label from one thing to another thing. when i didn't see the (obvious) change i expected, i knew i was doing something wrong. i kept re-building and re-deploying over and over in lots of different ways, and basically sometimes my change shows up, other times not.

after building and then searching for updated files, i noticed that only two files are actually modified: default.xbe, and textrues.xpr - so i assumed that the quickest way to re-deploy should be to simply copy over default.xbe to the correct location. when that didn't work, i tried copying both files to the correct location. when that didn't work, i tried wiping out the entire directory and copying everything over. when that didn't work, i tried wiping out the directory itself, and creating a new directory with a different name, and then copying all of the files into this new directory. this seems to have worked on at least one or two occasions, but i still don't think it is working every time.

this leads me to ask...
is there some kind of executable cache on the xbox or inside evox or something, that would be cacheing an old version of the executable? if so, how do i flush it?

can someone who knows what they are doing explain to me the most effective (and quickest) way to re-build and re-deploy? i would simply like to make a few quick changes, and then re-deploy and test my changes. for example, i am modifying guiwindowvideo.cpp and util.cpp.

do i need to run the build.bat to completely re-build everything and patch the default.xbe file? i was hoping i could simply run the normal (incremental) build in visual studio, and then copy over the default.xbe directly after that. that would take a minute or two, versus 15 minutes for build.bat and another 15 minutes to ftp-copy everything.

sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere - i did a search here and in a few other forums, including the official build guide thread, and couldn't find anything about re-building.

note: at this point i'm not worried about any debugging stuff - i'll be happy enough if i can just use the logs to track what's going on for now.

thanks!
Cool
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i suggest if you are wanting to do this type of thing, you should use the debug stuff. it's real easy to setup.

but to answer your questions, only the xbe is needed if all you have changed is code based stuff. if you add labels to strings.xml or anything, obviously you'll need to transfer that as well.

textures.xpr is only needed if you've added new textures and want them as part of the packed .xpr file - otherwise, just add them separately to the skin's media dir.

just make sure you copy the .xbe over correctly, and restart it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i swear i've been doing that over and over (and lots of combinations of things more complex) - and it really doesn't seem to pick up my changes. are you sure there isn't some strange executable cache or something that needs to be cleared?

i must be doing something really simple and stupid, but i can't figure out what.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i'm 100% sure. just make sure that the default.xbe (or whatever you have named it) is being written over and you should be fine.

if you had a debug setup it'd do it all for you.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

ok, i'll start looking into that. thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RE-Compiling XBMC0