Newbie needs help...
I'm pretty smart however I'm having a hard time getting my head around this whole patching process. I've created a patchstick using the Patchstick.ca freebie. I want to get xbmc and boxee running on my ATV which is going to be upgraded to 3.01. Looking at the contents of the usb drive I do not see anything to do with either of these apps. So either the creation didn't go right or there's another step which I'm hoping one of nice folks could help me with. And if there is any place where instructions that aren't cryptic are available I would totally appreciate it. I've looked at many sites but none are straight forward.

Thanks for reading.....No
Dogmastyle Wrote:I'm pretty smart however I'm having a hard time getting my head around this whole patching process. I've created a patchstick using the Patchstick.ca freebie. I want to get xbmc and boxee running on my ATV which is going to be upgraded to 3.01. Looking at the contents of the usb drive I do not see anything to do with either of these apps. So either the creation didn't go right or there's another step which I'm hoping one of nice folks could help me with. And if there is any place where instructions that aren't cryptic are available I would totally appreciate it. I've looked at many sites but none are straight forward.

Thanks for reading.....No

While I have no clue what Patchstick.ca is doing, all patchstick install various AppleTV plugins, XBMC is not a plugin, it's a full blown OSX application. What you want is plugin call "Launcher" installed and it knows how to download and install XBMC for Mac.
Yea.. patchstick.ca is a paid app that does the same things that most other patchstick apps does for free... and I'm guessing that the only place that you should go to for help is the developers at that site.

From their site:
Quote:We want to give back to the crowd of AppleTV enthusiasts. Therefore we decided that starting immediately, we give away a free 6 month subscription to one lucky @patchstick follower

LOL "one lucky patchstick follower" -- dare... dare to dream...... **and** for a WHOLE SIX MONTHS -- wow I sure hope that's not gonna break their bank... Yea, they are charging $69 for a 'lifetime of free updates' or $39 per year for their paid product -- six months I guess would be 19.99 but they don't even make that available for sale. Steer clear is my advice...

Whatever the 'free' version does... I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say that it's not going to do what you want it to do.. If it did then why would they charge?

Davilla, perhaps you should drop this silly XBMC project and get into the HIGHLY LUCRATIVE patchstick market... Imagine getting $39 per user from each download of a patchstick app?!
davilla: "...then all will be clear and everyone will go "hollysh**, I can't believe this happened"
Well Ok! I am all but happy to not use whatever "they" are selling, however, I am greatly interested in using XBMC on my ATV. Is the launcher part of the atvusb-creator install or is it something that has to be added in after using this?

atvusb=patchstick - launcher w/applications?

or

atvusb=patchstick - launcher then download/upload applications?

Thanks
Newbie Guy
Currently there's no one shot solution, nevertheless it's quite easy to get it going.

Grab the latest version of atv-usb-creator for your platform. Patch your ATV with it, ssh in, download and install Launcher-3.2.1.
Then there's a hopefully working Launcher menu in your ATV interface. Use that to install and launch XBMC.

search the forum for atv-usb-creator or Launcher 3.2. This should give tutorials with step by step instructions, like how to ssh etc.

HTH,
mdd

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie needs help...0