Resolution on menu and in video
I'll ask the question before I say I have a problem. But is the resolution different from menu's (hd3 skin) to video playing? Or when playing a video is the output handed over to something else? I'm getting a blank that has showed up in the alpha/beta releases where when i start a video the screen blanks out, the TV says no input.. then 4-6 seconds later the video shows up (I get sounds right away).

It didn't do this before with the older versions. But also I've gotten a new TV so it could just be that the Samsung is a little slower to re-detect the video stream and resolution then my old TV was.
You have "Adjust refresh rate" enabled in that case. Or vsync set to "Enabled during video playback"
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

No problems turning these off right? (will that play movies at 60 or 70fps, or the menu at 23.975)
It won't kill your cat if that's what you mean Wink. There's pros and cons with every option - turn them off and see if you notice any issues. If not, you're all good Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Well, by turning it off you'll most likely loose smoothness of playback. If you have a 24p capable TV set, watching 24fps material at 60Hz would be really throwing away quality for nothing.

Unfortunately, from what you are saying, I reckon the switch in refresh rate still happens *after* playback has started. Which is still kind of unexplainable to me, as all the media gets analyzed before anyway. Sad
The container doesn't necessarily supply us with correct information. The only way to get correct information is to play the video.

Elupus has some ideas as to how we can improve things in this regard, but it will ofcourse be a while before anything is done about it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Well turning off the settings to change the refresh rate fixed the problem. Funny enough though, the shows were actually upping the refresh rate.

The TV gets 60hz on the desktop and for menu's. That was jumping to 75hz for shows that were encoded at 24ish. (As reported on the screen after display change)
officeboy Wrote:The TV gets 60hz on the desktop and for menu's. That was jumping to 75hz for shows that were encoded at 24ish. (As reported on the screen after display change)
That's because at 75Hz you get smooth playback by speeding up sound by aproximately 4%.
Ahh, 23.976 x 3 = 71.928 + 4% faster, = 74.8 or about 75hz. Tricky..

Maybe I'll just set my display to 75hz then.
Actually, that's arguable IMO. A 2/3 cadence may well offer just as nice playback at the correct speed.

jmarshall Wrote:Actually, that's arguable IMO. A 2/3 cadence may well offer just as nice playback at the correct speed.
Huh What are you on about? A 3:2 cadence can never be smooth. How could it be when one frame is repeated two times and the other is repeated three times?

2:2, 3:3, 4:4, 5:5 are smooth. 3:2 is not. How could this be arguable? You could say that 3:2 does not bother you or that you prefer that annoyance to 4% speedup for audio. But smooth it isn't.

Cheers! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Resolution on menu and in video0