[LIVE] HOW-TO create a bootable XBMC Live 9.11 USB disk (on Windows and Linux)
windirt Wrote:if the bootable-usb made by unetbootin

edit the syslinux.cfg on the root folder.

find the "label ubnentry6"
edit the last line, add "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" before "--"

Cheers for that managed to work it out in the end, crashes for me now at install the system anyone else get that?
Adding the line at the end worked for the most part , but it was trying to find the preseed.cfg file on the cdrom still, I solved this by telling it to look at a url and hosted it online. There is probably a better work around!
I cannot seem to get this work. I downloaded the iso from xbmc org. Used unetbootin to get it onto an sd card. When trying to boot from it it shows the splash screen. When booting in safe mode I get:

Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/live/image/live/filesystem.squashfs) on //fileszstem.sqaushfs

This is on an Acer Revo R3600 using an SD card.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Edit: Bought a pen drive and from it booting works just fine.
l.capriotti Wrote:a last minute breakthrough! add the following to the installer kernel cmdline:

Code:
cdrom-detect/try-usb=true

and let me know how it goes

Lougi, are you planning to add this option to the final release? Would be very nice because there are many machines out there without a dvd drive!
I used a pen-drive but only Unetbootin seems to work, VirtualBox fails?

After that, I edit syslinux.cfg in such a way that it will not boot in the standard "Default" mode (Btw. it give's only a CLI) but in NVIDIA GPU.

Works well.

Only the internal DVD/CD drive isn't listed!
erhnam Wrote:are you planning to add this option to the final release?

yes; it adds some seconds to the installer when run from the CD but I have not found any other drawbacks.
M@rtijn Wrote:Select "Install to hardrive" from the boot menu. Push "Tab" instead of "Enter". Write "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" before the "--" and hit "Enter"

What does the - before the "--" - mean exactly, what should the entire line look like? I see "/vmlinuz initrd=/initrd0.img initrd=initrd0.img boot=cd quiet splash xbmc=install,nodiskmount,noredir

I just need to know exactly where to insert the new line "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true"
L. Capriotti-

I followed your instructions in Post 1 to a tee and they worked beautifully. I've been using Live 9.11B1 (installed via unetbootin and toporesize) without issue... until now.

I'm trying to to get my system to resume using a USB remote. When I edit the rc.local file (via FTP logged in under root), it only stays edited for that session. When I reboot, it's back to the original file. I've talked to some other people, and it seems like this is not just an issue for me. Changes to XBMC are saved, but changes to linux system files are not. I've also heard that if Live is installed to the hard disk via CD, this issue doesn't happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edit:
I am using 9.11B1 from the download page. I have an Acer Aspire Revo 3600 (though I doubt the PC has much to do with this problem)
Edit 2:
I was playing with alsamixer tonight. I realized that regardless of whether I made changes to alsamixer as "root" or "xbmc", when I rebooted, the changes were gone and alsamixer was back to it's defaults. This furthers my beliefs that the linux system files that are changed are not being held through a reboot.
htrodscott Wrote:Changes to XBMC are saved, but changes to linux system files are not.
You would need to perform the following test to assess that: open an ssh session, issue a "touch test.txt", reboot, open again the ssh session and check if the test.txt exists.

htrodscott Wrote:I was playing with alsamixer tonight. I realized that regardless of whether I made changes to alsamixer as "root" or "xbmc", when I rebooted, the changes were gone and alsamixer was back to it's defaults.

Code:
sudo alsactl store
windirt Wrote:if the bootable-usb made by unetbootin

edit the syslinux.cfg on the root folder.

find the "label ubnentry6"
edit the last line, add "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" before "--"

this worked great for me, thank you. ppl who are having issues may not be leaving the "--" in.. ?
L.Capriotti-

I completed the "touch test.txt" test with putty. I did it once logged in as root and once as xbmc (I didn't know if it mattered). I found the "test.txt" file in the root folder before I rebooted to double check. After I rebooted the machine, I checked for the file and it was gone.

I also tried adjusting the alsamixer again (as root and xbmc) and storing the settings with your "sudo alsactl store" command. After rebooting, those settings were gone as well (back to default).

Any ideas on a next step?

Thanks.
I've downloaded the XBMC iso file.

How do I extract this file to an USB and making it bootable ?

I want to install on a Revo 3600

// Dammark
sgthartman Wrote:this worked great for me, thank you. ppl who are having issues may not be leaving the "--" in.. ?

Not for me i found it was crashing at the installing system step, gave up in the end and connected a cd rom.
dammark Wrote:I've downloaded the XBMC iso file.

How do I extract this file to an USB and making it bootable ?

I want to install on a Revo 3600

// Dammark
Read the first post of this thread. You can use Unetbootin to take the ISO and 'extract' it onto a thumbdrive in a bootable format.
great guide, i made a bootable usb stick and installed it XBMC live without any trouble on a revo 3600 without a cd drive, BUT I plugged in my HP mce remote reciever that i use with a harmony 895 on my vista XBMC as mce keyboard and only arrows andmay one or keys work, how do i get full functionallity?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO create a bootable XBMC Live 9.11 USB disk (on Windows and Linux)0