ION motherboard sony receiver no HDMI audio
Hi all,

I have a quite odd (at least for me) problem

My set up is:
-HTPC based on ION ASUS AT3N7A-I
-Sony STR-DH800 receiver
-Sony BRAVIA lcd tv
-XBMC 9.11 over Ubuntu 9.10, 185 NVida driver, alsa 1.21

The HTPC is connected via HDMI to the receiver and the receiver is connected via HDMI to the TV (all the cables are 1.3b compliant)

Here is the problem:
Video happily passes from XBMC through the receiver to the TV at 720p resolution but the receiver cannot find audio of any kind. I have tried with MP3 stero, 5.1, Dolby Digital, AC3, and I have also run speaker-test but without any luck so far.

I am sure that my HTPC can send audio via HDMI. In fact if I plug the HTPC directly to the TV I can hear the audio.

-Is it a HDMI handshaking problem?
-Is my receiver broken :-(((((((((((((((

Any suggestion is well appreciated

Thanks
read this guide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59877
HTPC: Zotac ION 330 on Linux Gentoo/Ubuntu BD Remote (bdremote-ng) 20x4 USB LCD
I have an Ion system and that same receiver and it works for me, do you have have the audio devices set to hdmi in system settings.

Sorry if you already know this but you have to select the HDMI input using 1 of the HDMI buttons on that receiver to get hdmi audio. It will not work if you assign a hdmi input to a device input.
So in my case, if I select DVD which is assigned to HDMI1 it will only work with spdif or analogue audio. However if I select HDMI1 then hdmi audio works.

Also a bit off topic but do you have to have the receiver on before you power xbmc to get hdmi to work as I do.
Kali Wrote:read this guide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59877

Thanks for the reply,

I already went through these steps but it did not work for me. As I said my HTPC is outputting over HDMI, in fact the TV can get some sound. It is with my receiver that it does not work.

I have just bought a different HDMI cable and now I am sure it is not the cable.
Abnormal1 Wrote:I have an Ion system and that same receiver and it works for me, do you have have the audio devices set to hdmi in system settings.

Sorry if you already know this but you have to select the HDMI input using 1 of the HDMI buttons on that receiver to get hdmi audio. It will not work if you assign a hdmi input to a device input.
So in my case, if I select DVD which is assigned to HDMI1 it will only work with spdif or analogue audio. However if I select HDMI1 then hdmi audio works.

Also a bit off topic but do you have to have the receiver on before you power xbmc to get hdmi to work as I do.

Thanks for the comment. Yes my device in sound preferences is set to HDMI.... all the ie958 are enabled and I have tried all the 4 HDMI inputs. I have also tried to have the receiver on and off before starting my HTPC but still no luck.

I am close to desperation. :-)))))

Now I have borrowed an XBox to see if I can get the audio through HDMI with another device
I have just tried the XBOX and I have PCM 5.1 audio........ so is definitely a set up problem of my HTPC. Better than a broken receiver :-)
Abnormal1 Wrote:I have an Ion system and that same receiver and it works for me, do you have have the audio devices set to hdmi in system settings.

What video resolution do you have when using HDMI? The only thing I can think of is of some incompatibility of hdmi audio with a particular video resolution
Hi all,

Seems the last couple of posts in this thread were lost in the downtime. Just re-posting to say I have exactly the same problem with the same motherboard and receiver and ask if anybody has any newer info.

As I previousley stated, the setup works in Windows 7 so this isn't a hardware fault.

Andy J.
shish0r Wrote:Hi all,

Seems the last couple of posts in this thread were lost in the downtime. Just re-posting to say I have exactly the same problem with the same motherboard and receiver and ask if anybody has any newer info.

As I previousley stated, the setup works in Windows 7 so this isn't a hardware fault.

Andy J.

Not from my side, using SPDIF is the only solution I could find.
Right, quick update...

After messing around with xbmc Live and the XBMCFreak images all off a USB stick with no luck I thought I'd revert back to installing a full on Ubuntu o/s on my hdd and then have all the tools and flexibility to start hashing around to get this going.

After performing a base install and then upgrading the alsa drivers using http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810 I initially had no joy. But on that page it suggests the possibility of "Use the -s option of the upgrade script to get the latest driver snapshot installed. " and after I did this it all sprang into life Smile

Hope this helps.

Now to get xbmc and makeMKV installed....

Andy J.
shish0r Wrote:After performing a base install and then upgrading the alsa drivers using http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810 I initially had no joy. But on that page it suggests the possibility of "Use the -s option of the upgrade script to get the latest driver snapshot installed. " and after I did this it all sprang into life Smile

I have tested your suggestion but with no luck. Did you do anything else after installing the driver?

Did you run alsaconf? What version of the nvidia driver are you using?

Thanks

Emilio

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ION motherboard sony receiver no HDMI audio0