Start XBMC in different tty
Is is possible to start XBMC start up in a different window manager e.g. tty1 ?

Then have XBMC running on my TV and Real VNC running on my laptop to tty7 ?
it depends on what window manager you're using.

as far as i know, gdm(gnome) does not support multiple simultaneous sessions, but other window managers might.

You also have to realize that even if you find a window manager that will let you launch it twice, on seperate ttys, you have to make modifications to your Xorg.conf that go beyond my general pool of knowledge. Not to mention modifying your startup scripts (or upstart configs, depending on your linux distro) to switch terminals halfway through the startup process.

This is not a project for the faint-hearted, you can be sure of that!
mechamoto is actually slightly incorrect - the window manager doesn't care about other sessions (except where there might be a conflict between files -- e.g. you launch two Gnome sessions as the same user). X is what controls where/what the video card displays and you can have multiple X sessions on different "virtual TTY"s. (You can't use tty1 because that's a console terminal - you'd need to use tty8+).

There's plenty of documentation on how to do this, either through the display manager (gdm or kdm), or manually. The key is "x session"...
PHP Code:
xbmc.bin -p DISPLAY=:
or similar
mj.daly Wrote:Is is possible to start XBMC start up in a different window manager e.g. tty1 ?

Then have XBMC running on my TV and Real VNC running on my laptop to tty7 ?

Hi,

can you explain how to set up vnc on xbmc live 9.11betaHuh i am very interessted about this......
If you just SSH in with a compatible X client, you can run X based software without a window manager running, or VNC. For example, on a Linux laptop, just "ssh -X (xbmc-box)" and whatever you run on your xbmc box that supports X will open a window on your laptop. The same can be done with a Mac, but you need to have Apple's X11 client installed.

X was originally made for remote thin-client sessions. It still works. However, aside from running some Wine programs and easytag, most of the remote work I do is on the console.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Start XBMC in different tty0