HTPC (ion-330ht) boots by itself
meh I doubt it very much but it is possible that another remote could send a signal which would be similar however to be honest that is easy to troubleshoot if your using a remote and suddenly it comes on then bingo, if it just turns on as if by magic and you have disbaled the CIR device in bios then its possible you have a faulty machine.

Make sure that wake on lan is not being used also if any device on your network as been setup to wake the machine up then that could be the case. Though you dont mention any of that.

As for Asrock support forget tier1 support they know less about the machine then someone that knows nothing.

It may also be worth exchanging your machine under warranty I had to go trough about 3 before I got a working one.

And Im not surprised that they pushing you to a "supported" OS cheeky bastards this serves to confirm that MS is prolly paying them to delay Linux drivers delivery so that people use Windows.

please ensure that wake on lan is not being used. an easy test to disable the inbuilt wireless adaptor and unplug the network cable. If the machine just magically comes on its more then likely assuming your also disabled the cir for testing this out, that your machine is actually faulty.

Software that starts the machine up has to have support in bios as well this machine doesn't have such option hidden or not I know Ive tinkered with the bios.

As a matter of clarification what the bios does with the start on remote in this machines instance is emulate a keyboard button press like some machines have support to wake on keypress or mouse movement etc. the bios has been modified to accommodate this.

They need to update the bios as well many of the options are very unstable which most ppl wont notice cause they wont use it.
Hi,

the last three days my Asrock stayed off after i put it into a cupboard.

So today i decided to verify my findings, after beeing accused to talk nonsense by rude people.

So i took it out of the cupboard and again placed it directly in front of my tv, without anything attached to it (except power of course).

Few minutes later the Asrock turned on. I turned it off and it turned on again within 2 minutes. I repeated this about 10 times. And of course I DID NOT press any IR Remote.

Then i turned off my TV ad the Asrock also stayed of.

So my first assuption that it has something to do with the RF USB Receiver
was wrong, but I think It must have to something with interferences.

BTW i have an LG 50PS7000 Plasma TV.
erm no. You seem to miss the point of my comments but if the shoe fits and suddenly OMG Confusedhock: Im rude!!! lol look at my "Am I bothered face".... if your asrock stays off when your tv is off and this is for you the cause presuming you have it plugged in via HDMI and your TV is magically assuming control over your asrock power management, then your well you come up with a better solution or suggestion.

interference is definitely not the issue.

And to reiterate what I said also about the bios being bugged.

on a side note if I was rude for saying what I been reading about was total nonsense is because it dint , doesn't and will never make sense or logic especially since neither bothered to actually look at what I suggested. Unless Im mistakes and theres a magic troll infecting your boxes.

I only posted to try and push you guys in right direction but I guess the joke is on me since you (XBMC LOVER) is clearly a Linux guru, which Im not claiming to be btw in fact quite the opposite.

Anywho leave you to it this rude person doesnt have this problem and ceased to care.
X3lectric Wrote:if your asrock stays off when your tv is off and this is for you the cause presuming you have it plugged in via HDMI .

If you could read, then you should have noticed that nothing was connected to the Asrock except the power cord. No HDMI not USB not even a loose cable.

So where is your logic now? Maybe you watched terminator to often.
oh right its magic your tv is off so your asrock is off nothing put power cord... oooo in that case your power is gremlin ridden I would watch out next time I turn the toaster on it may just turn your car on.
You seem to piss of a lot of people on this forum X3lectric ... No Just an advice, try a more friendly approach.

Back on topic. I have disabled the Onboard CIR Power On in the BIOS and since then the system has not booted out of itself anymore. Although this is not a permanent solution as I want to use this function when the IR receiver works, I have good hopes this at least narrows it down to the IR receiver. I'll monitor it for a day or two to see if it stays off.
Glitch has it ever occurred to you that they piss me off as well? No I guess not! They all victims and I'm the bad boy?! /me goes off to laugh my head off. thanks for your "advice" but I pass thx.

Back ontopic for you only glitch if your CIR is off and the machine stays off could be that other remotes on same frequency were triggering it on after you gone past that stage try to determine if any of your remotes are to blame.

I dont have such a problem but Im avoiding Karmic which I have found to be bad for the Asrock and I'm using a usb CIR receiver to make use of the shipped remote with the HT. My setup is down on my signature.
X3lectric Wrote:Glitch has it ever occurred to you that they piss me off as well? No I guess not! They all victims and I'm the bad boy?! /me goes off to laugh my head off. thanks for your "advice" but I pass thx.

Back ontopic for you only glitch if your CIR is off and the machine stays off could be that other remotes on same frequency were triggering it on after you gone past that stage try to determine if any of your remotes are to blame.

I dont have such a problem but Im avoiding Karmic which I have found to be bad for the Asrock and I'm using a usb CIR receiver to make use of the shipped remote with the HT. My setup is down on my signature.

You are talking bullshit. That you don't have that problem does not prove you're right.

I can 100% assure that there was no remote activity. Its not only fixed by turning off my TV, even moving the Asrock 1 meter away will stop these sudden wakeups, even 50cm seems to reduce the problem.
I still believe the CIR they built in is badly shielded and catches some RF and turns the box on. This has nothing to do with karmic, because this is not a resume from suspend.
X3lectric Wrote:Glitch has it ever occurred to you that they piss me off as well? No I guess not! They all victims and I'm the bad boy?! /me goes off to laugh my head off. thanks for your "advice" but I pass thx.

You might think your helping in this forum X3lectric, but tbh you come accross as very arrogant. Most of your recent posts have been rude and its becoming very annoying. Its like ur trying to piss people off. Do this forum a favour and stop posting in threads that "Piss" you off.

cheers
Disabling Onboard CIR Power On in the BIOS definitely did the trick. The system has not booted out of itself since then. This leaves two options:

1. The receiver picks up signals of my Harmony One even though there is no driver for the reciever installed. I dont use any other remote in my house.
2. The receiver picks up interference of some kind which triggers the system to boot

Not a clue on how to troubleshoot next though ...
Glitch Wrote:1. The receiver picks up signals of my Harmony One even though there is no driver for the reciever installed.
Not a clue on how to troubleshoot next though ...

Why don't you put all your remotes in a different room to be sure?

Du you hav any electrical device near your box? I think so, at least your TV. Maybe you can move you box a little closer to it ti see if it starts more often. Thats what happened to mine. If my box stands within 10cm of the right edge of my TV it turns on every 2 minutes.
When moved away it did not turn on at all, even if i use the remote of my TV.
Was there ever a definitive answer to this issue?

I recently purchased a unit and love it dearly. However, finding the unit turned on every time I turn my back is rather worrying. It will sometimes be off for 12 hours and be fine. Other times it will wake up after only a few minutes.

I don't use standby so the remarks about configuring "Wake-On-Device" are not even relative. This is certainly a hardware issue and nothing to do with software.

Hoping somebody has some more information about this one.
@hrabbit:

Try to move your box about 1 meter away from any electrical devices and see if it still turns on. If thebox was off for 12 hours check which nerby electrical device was also off for 12 hours, maybe that helps you to identifiy the cause.

After moving my box away from my TV, it did not turn on for several days.

I told Asrock about the problem, still waiting for an answer.
Recently i noticed some electric sparks when connectig the power cord into the box. That means when you insert the power plug a little beveled there is a chance that the outer (negeative pole) of the plug touches the case of the box.
Normally that should not happen, because the case of the box should be grounded. But it looks like the box has some positive potential on the case!
@Glitch
@hrabbit

What kind of television do you have? I have a plasma TV do you have a Plasma too?
I made some more tests, and it seems that when i have my TV on, but sirthced to a blank black screen with only the "no signal" logo, the box stays off (but i havent tested this for a log term).

Could it be possible that the (Plasma) TV emits IR signals which are then reflected and catched bei the box?

Edit:
Google brought the answer, seems this could be the cause:

http://tinyurl.com/yl7a9zg

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC (ion-330ht) boots by itself0