Is it worth still using the old xbox?
Hey guys ive been looking at building 2 rigs. One for my Living room that will be all powerfull and crazy and then one for my bedroom where i stash old star treks and stuff like that to help me go to sleep. I have an old xbox and was wondering if its still worth modding it for use with XBMC. WHat i want from it is at least DVD quality and the ability to play my old ripped star treks. I was looking and the price of all the things needed to make a 500gb one is about $160 dollars. The cost for me to build a cheapo HTPC is about $300. SO....

Is it still worth it?
rubican! Wrote:Hey guys ive been looking at building 2 rigs. One for my Living room that will be all powerfull and crazy and then one for my bedroom where i stash old star treks and stuff like that to help me go to sleep. I have an old xbox and was wondering if its still worth modding it for use with XBMC. WHat i want from it is at least DVD quality and the ability to play my old ripped star treks. I was looking and the price of all the things needed to make a 500gb one is about $160 dollars. The cost for me to build a cheapo HTPC is about $300. SO....

Is it still worth it?

Well, I still have 3 modded xboxes and all are working every day. Nod They are great for SD content and DVD playback.

I found it far easier (and more cost effective) to run my media from a central server and stream them across my network than try and cram and mod drives into the xboxes themselves. It's far easier to add faster, cooler running drives to a single server computer than stick them in a hot cramped xbox.

Started with an older Power Mac G4 dual 450MHz machine I got for free, upgraded to a Power Mac G4 single 1.25GHz machine I got from a friend in exchange for a case of beer. Rofl Both have worked flawlessly serving 3 xboxes for SD content and two mac mini's and one macbook for HD content.

So, if you already are going to make a fast machine for your livingroom, it seems a simple task to just add a drive it it for all your Star Trek videos and stream them to the xbox. Would be far simpler to mod the box too. You could set that up in 15 minutes. Tried putting in a larger HD in one of my xboxes and it was nothing but frustration. Oo
- Blackstar
i see what your saying. Use the xbox as an orbiter. Thats a great idea. So all i need is a mod chip and everything is golden. Thanks for your help.
Yes Xbox is still fantastic at SD and selected HD content and it was designed to connect to TV's easily.... you dont even need a mod-chip...

http://www.productwiki.com/microsoft-xbo...nutes.html

Plus my last Xbox off ebay was £5! Big Grin
i am still running 3 soft modded xboxes streaming from a readynas and it works great. storing my library on a central NAS is the best move i ever made. I have thought about making the move to HD material but the quality of the xvid/dvds that i watch is fine and the size of HD files are huge. trying to store a bunch of blue ray movies that i may not watch again can get expensive.

the xboxes are very cheap. just get component cables, dvd playback kit and XIR Remote to be able to turn it on with a remote control
All Hail The Mighty XBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it worth still using the old xbox?0