[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo and update to the newest version
thanks it worked. Confluence is great!
Hi, After Installing XBMC onto the revo successfully ( Lifehacker tutorial), and following your upgrade instructions upto the point of installing upgraded NVIDIA drivers.( which i couldnt find the correct version, 32 bit or 64 bit linux?) I re-booted the revo and it just hangs on a blank screen with :

Quote:*starting hardware abstration layer hald
setting volumes at 100%

*checking battery state...
/dev/sda:
setting advanced power management level to 0xfe (254)

System details are : Acer Aspire R3600
Processor 1.60GHz
1024MB
Revo_2010 Wrote:Hi, After Installing XBMC onto the revo successfully ( Lifehacker tutorial), and following your upgrade instructions upto the point of installing upgraded NVIDIA drivers.( which i couldnt find the correct version, 32 bit or 64 bit linux?) I re-booted the revo and it just hangs on a blank screen with :

Processor 1.60GHz
1024MB
Hi REVO_2010,
I have a REVO and had a lot of trouble trying to get the NVIDIA drivers updated as well. I didn't get the error you got but I never tested it until I was completely done so hopefully this will help you.
From:http://www.webupd8.org/2009/08/how-to-in...rs-in.html
I ran:
Code:
sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list"
sudo sh -c "echo 'deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list"
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CEC06767
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-190-modaliases nvidia-glx-190
Revo_2010 Wrote:Hi, After Installing XBMC onto the revo successfully ( Lifehacker tutorial), and following your upgrade instructions upto the point of installing upgraded NVIDIA drivers.( which i couldnt find the correct version, 32 bit or 64 bit linux?) I re-booted the revo and it just hangs on a blank screen with :

Processor 1.60GHz
1024MB

32 bit.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_displ...90.53.html

Here you go.
rawker,
I just got done installing and updating to xbmc 9.11. unfortunately, I see that my nvidia drivers are still 190.42. I have downloaded the newest nvidia drivers and moved it to the revo home directory. when I type in the sudo command, it states that it is unable to open the file. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

rawker089 Wrote:Hey guys this is my first post. I recently upgraded from my xbox xbmc to an acer revo. I have read many forum posts on installing xbmc live but nothing seemed to work for me. This is how I installed xbmc 9.11 on the revo.

Update: Dec 28. XBMC 9.11 live installer should be fixed now. I haven't tried it though. If you want to update xbmc to 9.11 this guide still applies.

Install XBMC:

1. Download XBMC 9.04
2. Burn the iso to a cd and then reboot your computer.
3. Boot from the live disk and select install to usb or hdd
4. Install xbmc to a 2.0gb usb stick or sd card.
5. After this is finished reboot again
6. Put your usb stick or sd in the revo and turn it on.
7. Push f12 and then select your usb stick or sd.
8. Install to your revo's hd.
9. once installed reboot and see if everything works.

Update XBMC:

1. If everything is working in xbmc go to the terminal by pushing crtl-alt- f2
2. login
3. sudo apt-get update
4. sudo apt-get upgrade
5. sudo apt-get remove xbmc-common
6. sudo apt-get install xbmc "This should install xbmc 9.11"
7. sudo apt-get -f install "to fix any conflicts"
8. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade "This should update your skins"
9. Either exit XBMC to the terminal or kill it.
10. Go to nvidia's website and download the newest drivers for ION
11. Move it to your revo's home directory
12. Then type "sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg1.run"
13. Follow the install menu.
14. After it finishes run apt-get update again just to make sure everything is updated.
15. Reboot.
16. Enjoy XBMC 9.11

Make sure in xbmc the video render is set to VDPAU.
What driver version is it? make sure xbmc is not running and you use the "sudo sh" command to run it.
Hi,

thank you very much for this guide. It worked fine for me up until the Nvidia update.

Then I get the following message:
Quote:"ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM installed. If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option."

I am not a Linux expert so I do not quite understand what the problem is. I had XBMC running before just fine.

What do I need to do to get the Nvidia update working ?

cu
Martin

UPDATE
-----
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

and then the Nvidia update worked. Now back with a running XBMC.
If anyone is trying to use this guide to get a new XBMC on a Revo to the newest version, skip this guide and check out this one - http://www.interworks.com/blogs/rboyles/...spire-revo

It'll install the new Camelot 9.11 onto the Revo and the guide should apply to all newer installs of XBMC Live whenever they get released.
darknessgp Wrote:If anyone is trying to use this guide to get a new XBMC on a Revo to the newest version, skip this guide and check out this one - http://www.interworks.com/blogs/rboyles/...spire-revo

It'll install the new Camelot 9.11 onto the Revo and the guide should apply to all newer installs of XBMC Live whenever they get released.

I put this guide together for people who were either having trouble with installing 9.11 when it was first released or just wanted to upgrade.
rawker089 Wrote:Hey guys this is my first post. I recently upgraded from my xbox xbmc to an acer revo. I have read many forum posts on installing xbmc live but nothing seemed to work for me. This is how I installed xbmc 9.11 on the revo.

Update: Dec 28. XBMC 9.11 live installer should be fixed now. I haven't tried it though. If you want to update xbmc to 9.11 this guide still applies.

Install XBMC:

1. Download XBMC 9.04
2. Burn the iso to a cd and then reboot your computer.
3. Boot from the live disk and select install to usb or hdd
4. Install xbmc to a 2.0gb usb stick or sd card.
5. After this is finished reboot again
6. Put your usb stick or sd in the revo and turn it on.
7. Push f12 and then select your usb stick or sd.
8. Install to your revo's hd.
9. once installed reboot and see if everything works.

Update XBMC:

1. If everything is working in xbmc go to the terminal by pushing crtl-alt- f2
2. login
3. sudo apt-get update
4. sudo apt-get upgrade
5. sudo apt-get remove xbmc-common
6. sudo apt-get install xbmc "This should install xbmc 9.11"
7. sudo apt-get -f install "to fix any conflicts"
8. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade "This should update your skins"
9. Either exit XBMC to the terminal or kill it.
10. Go to nvidia's website and download the newest drivers for ION
11. Move it to your revo's home directory
12. Then type "sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg1.run"
13. Follow the install menu.
14. After it finishes run apt-get update again just to make sure everything is updated.
15. Reboot.
16. Enjoy XBMC 9.11

Make sure in xbmc the video render is set to VDPAU.

I've followed these instructions multiple times off a fresh 9.04 install and every time I get to "5. sudo apt-get remove xbmc-common" my tv will start going in and out black screen then black screen with a green bar like if the TV is getting an input then no input over and over.
I used this and now have 9.11 up and running.

darknessgp Wrote:If anyone is trying to use this guide to get a new XBMC on a Revo to the newest version, skip this guide and check out this one - http://www.interworks.com/blogs/rboyles/...spire-revo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo and update to the newest version0