No 1080p or 1080i? Why?
Exclamation 
I recently installed 9.11 Camelot on my ATV (v3.0.1) with aTVFlash installed. While I am very impressed with the subtle but noticeable changes made in XBMC -- much faster and more stable SMB streaming than I had before is one -- I am taken aback by the fact that, not only is there no support for 1080i or 1080p resolutions, I can't even retain the 1080p setting in my ATV for other media: XBMC seems to change it every time I reboot! So what's the story on why XBMC does not support 1080i or 1080p?

(Please, no responses telling me to keep the setting and "don't worry about it." I find answers like that rather condescending to your users. I want a clear and understandable answer. In other words, the truth.)
OK, The Truth:

ATV is a bit shit.*

*I own one.
Lol
Greater than 720p is an issue, setup for 720p and don't worry about it for now.

@garyi, if you have nothing good to say, shut your pie hole Smile
Davilla, I like your style. Throw it right back at me. Okay, so in all seriousness is there any target date for 1080i or 1080p?
Davilla I am only messing, but lets not kid ourselves its no powerhouse. I purchased one the day it was released and 1 year later put xbmc on it. I have not used the apple interface since. Without XBMC it would be useless.
I agree with Gary which is why 1080i and 1080p is so damned important.
glmoneo Wrote:I agree with Gary which is why 1080i and 1080p is so damned important.

1080i and 1080p makes no difference regrading it's ability to decode video content. Remember video content size and video display size are not related and XBMC will scale video content size to video display size using OpenGL and the GPU.

The past month has been busy with release. Now that it's over I can start looking at this again (in between a major broadcom crystalhd push).
garyi Wrote:Davilla I am only messing, but lets not kid ourselves its no powerhouse. I purchased one the day it was released and 1 year later put xbmc on it. I have not used the apple interface since. Without XBMC it would be useless.

You should nuke the AppleTV OS and install Linux (ubuntu 8.04 is good) and add a broadcom crystalhd card.
OK, point me at a step by step -designed purely for muppets who think a command line is for drying army shirts- instruction manual and you have yourself a deal.

Trouble is Davilla, most of these mods is like a big secret that geeks talk about amongst themselves, common folk are not invited we get to look in from the sidelines wondering just what the hell it is you are on about.

It goes right back to your question regarding Mac users and XBMC, I purchased macs since the early 90s because I wanted things easy.

One gets the impression installing linux and hardware onto an appletv is the preserve of the few.

I was recommend by another mod here to run XBMC live on my mac mini to see how I would get on with linux, even I know inserting a linux disk into a mac does not make it boot into linux. Again, geek talk and the massive assumption that non clued folk have half a clue what you are on about.
To be fair I just found the pictorial guide for installing the hardware, I'll have a looksee.
Bloody hell though after reading through what do you have to do again?

Does one replace the wireless card? I don't need my wireless card so no biggy.

I have purchased one of those cards from ebay.
garyi Wrote:OK, point me at a step by step -designed purely for muppets who think a command line is for drying army shirts- instruction manual and you have yourself a deal.

Trouble is Davilla, most of these mods is like a big secret that geeks talk about amongst themselves, common folk are not invited we get to look in from the sidelines wondering just what the hell it is you are on about.

It goes right back to your question regarding Mac users and XBMC, I purchased macs since the early 90s because I wanted things easy.

My first Apple was an MacPlus Smile Been an Apple Developer for going on 15+ years now so I know the story line already Smile

CrystalHD branch is still a development branch. It's there so we devs can work out issues before merging to trunk. As a development branch, we concentrate on implementation, coding and performance issues. Installation issues come later as until it's working correctly, there's no point of making easy install instructions.

Most instructions get complicated by the simple fact of too many options. Take for example Linux on the AppleTV. There are at least four different ways to do it depending how you want it setup. Unfortunately supporting all the options does complicate things.
garyi Wrote:Bloody hell though after reading through what do you have to do again?

Does one replace the wireless card? I don't need my wireless card so no biggy.

I have purchased one of those cards from ebay.

see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62708&page=22

It's a prebuilt linux disk image.

Wireless card is removed, crystalhd card installed in it's place.

USA source -> http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bcm970012
OK, thats fine I am doing it.

The prebuilt linux image I need to put on a stick with the terminal? And I simply stick this in the ATV and turn it on?

If its that straight forward even I could do it*

If you need me to be your bitch just let me know, in essence if I can do it anyone could do it.

*Mac 512ke was my first mac, with separate 702k floppy drive and stylewriter 2. I could only look at the MacPLus with envy Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No 1080p or 1080i? Why?0