[LIVE] Stutter on 720p Playback with Ion
Here is the pastebin link to the log:

http://pastebin.com/f679af7e5

It's reporting as having CPU 0 at 18.5% and CPU 1 at 11%, not sure why there are two CPUs coming as I have the single core atom.
My receiver is DTS and Dolby compatible which is why it's a bit of shame that it seems to work best downmixing to stereo.

I've used the USB Audio default as the Audio device (the IEC device does not work) and Passthrough output device is set to custom (I haven't set the Custom passthrough device option below it to anything).
Humour me....

On Video settings...

Render method - autodetect
Adjust display refresh rate - enable
Sync playback to display - enable
A/V sync method - Video clock (resample audio)
Allowed error - None
VDPAU studio correction - enable
Activate teletext - disable

On System settings - video...
Vertical blank sync - Always enabled

When watching HD with "sync playback to display" disabled and "A/V sync method" set to anything other than "resample audio" - if you press 'O' during playback - on mine, the sync %error climbs rapidly until a "sync adjustment" is made, it drops to zero and the video "jumps" slightly - it then starts rapidly climbing. This behaviour continues with a "jump" every 4/5 seconds.

With the A/V sync method set as above, the %error quite quickly drops to 0% and remains there - with no "jumping".

Hope this helps,

J
Don't know if this has been solved or not but I figure more info is better than less. I am also running xbmc on a Revo but mine is the 3610 using Ubuntu Karmic Koala as the os.

My video plays back very nicely for all formats and all resolutions. These are my video settings

Render Method = VDPAU
Adj Refresh = off
Sync playback = off
Allowed Error = None
VDPAU Studio level color conversion = off ( I found this sort of washed the colors out when enabled. Noticeably more vivid colors with this set to off)

Also I had significant tearing until I turned off compiz. This can easily be done by accessing System->Preferences->Appearance->VisualEffectsTab
and set to None; (assuming you are using gnome desktop in ubuntu)

After setting mine to those settings I have had really nice playback of even high bitrate 1080p video with no problems.

Also I did set my video memory to 512MB in my bios.

Maybe that will help, maybe not but at least it gives you a few more things to try and is from someone who is also running xbmc on a revo in ubuntu using VDPAU.

good luck
Which type of stutter are you getting? I ask because I have seen two distinct types on my Zotac-A. The first is dropped frames (rare, causes a slight discontinuity), and shows up in the file statistics when you look at the OSD debug menu.

The other type of stutter I get doesn't show up in the OSD menu, and is caused by (software) correcting the frame rate to the display rate. It looks like a small jump every second, not anything major, but after about 2 or 3 seconds you start to notice it. The correction I have found for it is to recode everything to 29.95 fps (30000/1001). The error seems to be caused by trying to upsample 23.97 fps source to 30 fps display (film -> 1080i). (3:2 pulldown?). I first noticed this problem with my DirecTiVo and have seen it in all kinds of different hardware including the tivo, and two other HTPCs.

BTW, I watched a rip I made of Pan's Labyrinth (BD, 1080p) streamed over my (GigE) network from the server to my ION-a last night. Original file was 19Gb. I lost a total of 6 frames over the movie (about 2 hours), complete with DTS-HD to RCA-digital out, so the soft/hardware is capable of flawless playback. I would look into config settings (make sure VDPAU is enabled) or check your source/display framerates.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Stutter on 720p Playback with Ion0